Menstrual Awareness Conclave to be held in Delhi to address stigma around periods, discuss sustainable solutions

Padman star Akshay Kumar is the chief guest for this event, which aims to discuss the safety of girls who reach puberty in school environments, among other issues

FP Staff May 26, 2018 15:31:43 IST
Menstrual Awareness Conclave to be held in Delhi to address stigma around periods, discuss sustainable solutions

Despite the advent of new technology, menstrual hygiene remains a neglected subject in India, which is home to 355 women. Only 18 percent of women use sanitary napkins. The remaining -- a staggering 82 percent -- resort to using unhygienic, unsafe options, such as cloth, hay and even ash. The results are countless cases of urinary and reproductive tract infections, a culture of shame, and many lives put in danger.

To mark International Menstrual Hygiene Day on 28 May 2018, the first ever Menstrual Awareness Conclave is being organised by Niine Movement in Delhi. It will involve discussions about periods in the Indian context and how the stigma surrounding it affects the everyday lives of women, as well as try to arrive at sustainable solutions. Padman star Akshay Kumar is the chief guest of this event.

Menstrual Awareness Conclave to be held in Delhi to address stigma around periods discuss sustainable solutions

Representational image

This conclave will have two panels, the first of which will be chaired by Poonam Muttreja, the Executive Director of the Population Foundation of India (PFI). Muttreja will be in conversation with Shabana Azmi, Meenakshi Lekhi, and Nishtha Satyam, among others. This panel aims to discuss the origins of the stigma surrounding menstruation and the impact it has on women.

The second panel, chaired and moderated by Shivani Wazir Pasrich, Regional Coordinator, India of the Royal Commonwealth Society, will discuss the safety and security of female students once they reach puberty in the school environment. Pasrich is joined by Dr Bindu Rana, CEO and Founder of Millennium Education Management, educationist Lata Vaidyanathan, Director of TERI Prakriti School, and Dr Jennifer Butler, Deputy Regional Director, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA).

Niine Movement is a five-year plan aimed at raising awareness about menstrual hygiene as well as tackling taboos related to menstruation.

Additional details about the conclave can be found on Niine's website.

Updated Date:

also read

How Raksha Bandhan & Laal Singh Chaddha clash can be a golden opportunity for Bollywood to bring back the audience
Entertainment

How Raksha Bandhan & Laal Singh Chaddha clash can be a golden opportunity for Bollywood to bring back the audience

Aamir Khan's Laal Singh Chaddha and Akshay Kumar's Raksha Bandhan will release on 11th August across the globe.

This is how Bhumi Pednekar has done her bit for planet Earth on Nature Conservation Day
Bollywood

This is how Bhumi Pednekar has done her bit for planet Earth on Nature Conservation Day

Bhumi explains, "A year ago, I launched India's first clothing environmental footprint calculator with Dolce Vee so we can all understand the environmental impact of each of our clothes."

Akshay Kumar and his on-screen sisters go for some jewelry shopping to promote Raksha Bandhan
Entertainment

Akshay Kumar and his on-screen sisters go for some jewelry shopping to promote Raksha Bandhan

Akshay Kumar, along with his co-stars Sadia Khateeb, Smrithi Srikanth, Sahejmeen Kaur and Deepika Khanna, had the company of their director Aanand L Rai as they promoted their film in Hyderabad.