With a bountiful stone fruit season upon us, preserving them in a bottle to enjoy over the next few weeks is something worth considering. Each morning you can spread some of your own homemade jam on a slice of toast. Even better, top it with some creamy cottage cheese.
Peach and cherry jam:
• 400g peaches
• 200g cherries
• 400g sugar (my fruits were very sweet) Use up to 600g of sugar.
• 1.5 cups water
• Juice of 1 lime
• Stone the cherries and cut into two.
• Blanch the peaches to get the skin off easily. Cut into chunks.
• In a jar or a bowl, add the fruits and sugar and toss to coat.
• Add the fruits in a saucepan with water and let it simmer, stirring frequently for 40-50 minutes or until the texture is that of a liquidy jam (because, as it cools, it is going to thicken). Add up to 1/2 more cup of water whenever you feel that the preserve is rather dense.
• Once cooked, let it cool. Transfer to sterlised jars to preserve.
Shaheen writes about her quest for the perfect chocolate chip cookie and baking escapades on The Purple Foodie.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Updated Date: Jun 20, 2011 09:08:41 IST