The repercussions of the violence in the Kishtwar region of Jammu and Kashmir has been making headlines since 9 August. While Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today called for an all party meeting, opposition parties have slammed the government for not being able to control the situation.
A curfew has also been imposed in the area and internet services are down. Here is what lead to the situation.
* According to the reports, a group of people, raising anti-national slogans after the Eid prayers, was attacked by another section of people in Kuleed area leading to tension.
* The two groups indulged in stone-pelting and arson in which 10 shops were set on fire.
*Police and CRPF personnel rushed to the area and used batons and teargas, besides firing in the air to disperse the warring mobs gathered in various parts of the district.
* The situation turned ugly when police was fired upon from homes.
*The clashes broke out in the Kuleed area of Kishtwar and soon spread across the district.
* A list of Village Defence Committee members was drawn up quickly so that the arms given to them could be withdrawn.
* Besides many shops, a truck and a hotel belonging to a kin of an MLC were burnt in the arson.
* Curfew was imposed and the Army was called out following clashes.
* The body of one person apparently set ablaze by rioting mobs in Kishtwar town of Jammu region was found late Friday night.
* A total of three people died in the two days of clashes.
* Omar Abdullah had directed senior state and civil officials including the Police Chief Ashok Prasad and Chief Secretary Mohammad Iqbal Khandey to rush to the scene and try and control the situation.
*In the wake of communal clashes pilgrimage to the holy cave shrine of Amarnath was suspended from Jammu as a precautionary measure.
* Curfew was imposed on Sunday in three more districts of Udhampur, Samba and Kathua in Jammu region while the Army staged flag marches.
* Fresh clashes erupted in Kishtwar on Saturday, and again on Monday injuring civilians and cops.
* Omar Abdullah has called for an all-party meet to discuss the volatile situation in his state.
With agency inputs
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Updated Date: Aug 12, 2013 16:57:10 IST