Uttarakhand floods: Death toll over 3,000 says Bahuguna

The exact number of persons missing after the tragedy is 3,064 and the deadline for finding them is 15 July.

hidden July 04, 2013 18:38:23 IST
Uttarakhand floods: Death toll over 3,000 says Bahuguna

Dehradun: Pegging the number of pilgrims missing after the recent natural calamity in Uttarakhand at more than 3000, Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna today said if they don't surface till July 15 they will be presumed dead.

"Considering the magnitude of the crisis, the state cabinet has decided that if the missing persons are not found by July 15, we will presume that they are dead and the process of paying compensation to their next of kin will begin", he said.

The exact number of persons missing after the tragedy is 3,064 and the deadline for finding them is 15 July, he said. He said the process of payment of compensation to the
families of those killed in the disaster will hopefully be completed by 30 July.

With the MeT department issuing a warning of heavy rains at places in Kumaon region over the next two days, Bahuguna said that for the next 50 hours the administration needs to be highly vigilant.

250 National Disaster Response Force personnel have been deployed in areas where heavy rains are expected, official sources here said.

Uttarakhand floods Death toll over 3000 says Bahuguna

Bahuguna has said over 3,000 are missing. AFP

According to the MET department, heavy rains are likely to hit the state on 5 July and 6 especially areas in Nainital, Pithoragarh and Udhamsingh Nagar districts of Kumaon region Bahuguna said though there is no reason for alarm due to the MeT department's warning, the administration is ready to deal with any emergency.

However, there has been no report so far of heavy rains from anywhere across Uttarakhand, a MeT official here said.

Munsyari in Pithoragarh district recorded the maximum of 31mm of rains followed by Ranikhet in Almora district with 28 mm of rains and Dehradun with 8.2 mm of  showers, he said.

Intermittent rains at Joshimath and low visibility conditions in Guptkashi due to clouds continued to hamper relief operations in affected villages of Chamoli, Rudraprayag
and Uttarkashi districts.

With major roads in these districts, which bore the brunt of the tragedy, still blocked or breached, the administration is depending exclusively on IAF and private choppers to take relief material to villages that are cut off.

There are about 226 villages in these districts still awaiting relief.

Faced with foodgrain shortage, these villages have been waiting for the relief for the past ten days.

The dependence on choppers due to absence of motorable roads for transporting relief to affected villages has made the task difficult, officials requesting anonymity said.

PTI

Updated Date:

also read

Afghanistan: Death toll from four bombs that ripped through minibuses and a mosque rises to 16
World

Afghanistan: Death toll from four bombs that ripped through minibuses and a mosque rises to 16

On 25 May, at least 10 people were killed when three bombs placed on separate minibuses exploded in the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif

North Korea reports 820,620 COVID-19 cases in three days, 15 more deaths from 'fever'
World

North Korea reports 820,620 COVID-19 cases in three days, 15 more deaths from 'fever'

North Korea confirmed on 12 May that the highly contagious Omicron variant had been detected in the capital Pyongyang, with Kim Jong-un ordering nationwide lockdowns

Mundka fire: Building had one escape route, toll may rise with more remains found and 19 people missing
India

Mundka fire: Building had one escape route, toll may rise with more remains found and 19 people missing

Twelve people were injured in the fire that started on the first floor of the four-storeyed building which had a single narrow entry and exit route making escape difficult