Three killed in fire at gas cylinder godown in south Kolkata
Three people were killed in a fire that broke out on Thursday at a south Kolkata godown, where LPG gas cylinders, oil and other inflammable materials were allegedly stored, police and fire authorities said.
Kolkata: Three people were killed in a fire that broke out on Thursday at a south Kolkata godown, where LPG gas cylinders, oil and other inflammable materials were allegedly stored, police and fire authorities said.
Three dead after fire broke out at Tangra area of Kolkata near China town. pic.twitter.com/IQ6Zxe4Jbk
— ANI (@ANI_news) October 6, 2016
The godown on Christopher road in South Kolkata went ablaze around 1 pm.
"Three persons died in the fire," an official at the fire control headquarters said.
Fire department officials and Topsia police station personnel worked in tandem to control the fire.
Seven fire tenders pressed into service managed to control the blaze after a two-and-a-half hours.
"The shop was completely engulfed by the flames. It could have been a lot worse. But we were able to stop the blaze from spreading. The situation is under control now," a fire official said.
Local Councillor Swarnakamal Saha, who rushed to the spot, said: "It could have been a bigger calamity as the shop is in a slum area. We will look into the issue of the hoaring of inflammable materials in the godown."
The local residents accused the police and the administration of inaction despite repeated complaints.
"The godown owner is doing this illegal business for long. We have complained many times but no one cared to look into the issue," an angry resident said.
With inputs from IANS
Massive blaze at four-storey commercial building in Kolkata's Exide More brought under control; no casualties reported
A major fire broke out on the top floor of a four-storey commercial building in south Kolkata on Thursday, a fire brigade official said in Kolkata
Fire breaks out at bamboo godown in Kolkata's Park Circus area; 15 tenders rushed to the spot, no casualties reported so far
A fire broke out at a godown in Park Circus area of south Kolkata on Wednesday afternoon, an official said.