Supreme Court refuses plea to probe mass murder of Kashmiri Pandits, says difficult to gather evidence after 27 years
The Supreme Court on Monday refused to entertain a plea seeking probe and prosecution of various persons, including separatist leader Yasin Malik, for offences including murder of over 700 Kashmiri Pandits during the height of militancy in the Valley in 1989-90.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday refused to entertain a plea seeking probe and prosecution of various persons, including separatist leader Yasin Malik, for offences including murder of over 700 Kashmiri Pandits during the height of militancy in the Valley in 1989-90.
A bench of Chief Justice JS Khehar and Justice DY Chandrachud said that almost 27 years have passed and it will be very difficult to gather evidences in cases of murder, arson and looting which had led to mass exodus of Kashmiri Pandits from the Valley.
"You (petitioner) sat over it for last 27 years. Now tell us from where the evidence will come," the bench said.
Advocate Vikas Padora, appearing for an organisation 'Roots of Kashmir', said Kashmiri Pandits were forced to leave their abodes in the Valley and could not join the investigation and further submitted that the delay was there but neither the Centre nor the state government nor the judiciary took adequate note of it to do the needful.
The organisation has alleged that 215 FIRs had been lodged relating to the murder of over 700 Kashmiri Pandits and none of the cases have reached a logical conclusion.
Kashmiri Pandits were forced to flee the Valley in the early 1990s amid rising threats and attacks during the peak of
Lawyer's Voice, which has filed the plea, has sought an urgent hearing on the case stating that a professional and efficient investigation is needed to ensure it doesn't happen again
NEET PG Counselling: Supreme Court to give order on EWS case today, a look at what the case is all about
The matter pending before the court has been filed by resident doctors who have challenged a 29 July 2021 notification by the Centre introducing 27 percent OBC quota and 10 percent EWS quota in the NEET all-India quota seats
SC directs Supertech to enter into contract within week with firm to demolish 40 storey twin-towers in Noida
The top court also directed Supertech Ltd to make the refund payments to the home buyers without prejudice to their rights and contentions