Security forces do a U-turn, deny Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander surrendered
In a U-turn, senior police and army officers denied that any Hizbul commander had surrendered before the security forces on Saturday.
Srinagar: In a U-turn, senior police and army officers denied that any Hizbul commander had surrendered before the security forces on Saturday.
Denying earlier reports that Tariq Pandit, a close associate of Burhan Wani, the most wanted Hizbul commander in south Kashmir, had surrendered before the security forces, Colonel NN Joshi, the Srinagar-based defence spokesman, told reporters in Srinagar: "Reports of Tariq's surrender are absolutely baseless."
Earlier some senior police officers and even defence sources had individually confirmed to media that Tariq Pandit, a commander of the Hizb-ul-Mujahideen (HM) outfit had surrendered before the security forces.
It was said that Pandit's surrender before the security forces was a big blow to militancy as he had been seen in pictures uploaded on social media with Burhan Wani wielding weapons and wearing army fatigues.
As per the Jammu and Kashmir Police, approximately 5 kilograms of explosives have been recovered from the drone.
An unidentified militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, police said
Security forces on Saturday killed two Jiash-e-Mohammed militants, including a top Pakistani ultra belonging to the family of the group's chief Masood Azhar and involved in the planning of the 2019 Pulwama attack