SC adjourns hearing in 2009 contempt cases against Prashant Bhushan, Tarun Tejpal
The hearing was adjourned to 4 August after Bhushan and Tejpal's lawyers said they were finding it difficult to present arguments through video conferencing and asked for more time
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday adjourned the hearing to 4 August, the 2009 contempt case against activist-lawyer Prashant Bhushan and journalist Tarun Tejpal after senior advocates representing them sought time to prepare.
A bench headed by Justice Arun Mishra said it would give time to the lawyers representing the alleged contemnors to prepare and adjourned the matter for 4 August.
Senior advocate Shanti Bhushan, who is an intervener in the case, said he found it very difficult to advance arguments through video conferencing and it would be better if the case was heard after normal hearing begins.
Advocate Rajeev Dhavan, appearing for Bhushan, said this case had been pending for the past 9-10 years and they needed time to prepare for it. The bench said that even constitution bench matters were now being heard through video conferencing.
Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, appearing for Tarun Tejpal, said: "If we have waited for nine years, then I don't understand what the urgency is."
The apex court had had issued contempt notice to Bhushan and Tejpal in November 2009 for allegedly casting aspersions on some sitting and former top court judges in an interview to a news magazine. Tejpal was the editor of the news magazine.
SC rejects EC's plea to expunge Madras HC remarks, says citizens have a right to know what transpires in courts
The top court said it is a staunch proponent of freedom of media to report court proceedings and that the EC's contention that press should be reporting orders only and not observations struck at principles of open court
The new dates will be announced later by the court after reviewing the pandemic situation, as per the latest notice
SC quashes Maharashtra law granting Maratha reservations, says community can't be declared as backward
The top court has struck down the Maharashtra State Reservation for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act, 2018