Saharanpur violence: Centre seeks report from UP govt over inter-caste clashes
The Centre on Thursday sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the continuing violence in Saharanpur in which two died and several other were injured.
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday sought a report from the Uttar Pradesh government on the continuing violence in Saharanpur in which two people had been killed and several others injured.
The Ministry of Home Affairs has asked the state government to provide details of the incidents which started last month and the steps taken to restore peace in the western Uttar Pradesh district, official sources said.
On 5 May, one person was killed and at least 15 people, including a police officer, were injured as members of two caste groups clashed over loud music being played during a procession.
Clashes broke out again on 23 May, leading to the death of one person and injuries to four people.
Three people were injured in fresh violence yesterday in the district, which has been witnessing inter-caste clashes since April.
In view of the continuing violence, the state government yesterday suspended the District Magistrate and Senior Superintendent of Police. The Divisional Commissioner and the Deputy Inspector General were transfered out.
Internet and mobile messaging services were also suspended in the district to prevent the spread of rumours which the administration feared could spark trouble.
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Non-registration of sexual offences is widespread, unfair media reporting compounds problem: Ex-UP DGP Sutapa Sanyal
The benchmark for police efficiency should be truly delinked with the number of FIRs registered, says former Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police Sutapa Sanyal.
The police said that teams have been formed to nab the accused who is absconding while the body of the deceased has been sent for a post-mortem examination
On Saturday, Governor Anandiben Patel assented to an ordinance against forcible or fraudulent religious conversions. The law stipulates imprisonment up to 10 years and a maximum fine of Rs 50,000