Rs 50,000 salary to laundry services: Here's what your MP gets
While the 16th Lok Sabha is yet to be constituted, when they meet for the Budget session in June-end this year, Members of Parliament are already entitled to various benefits with effect from the day the Election Commission officially declares the results.
While the 16th Lok Sabha is yet to be constituted, when they meet for the Budget session in June-end this year, Members of Parliament are already entitled to various benefits as they come into effect the day the Election Commission officially declares the results.
With perks ranging from a monthly salary of Rs 50,000 to quarterly laundry services for furnishings such as curtains and upholstery, our MPs literally do not have to spend on anything. Even meals inside Parliament are heavily subsidised.
Here's a look at some of the many perks and privileges that an MP gets:
* Each member of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha is entitled to receive a salary of Rs 50,000 per month during the whole term of office.
* If an MP signs the Parliament register every day, he is entitled to a daily allowance of Rs 2,000.
* A Member of Parliament is also entitled to Rs 45,000 as monthly allowance for work in the member's constituency.
* The MP is also entitled to Rs 45,000 a month for meeting office expenses. Of this amount, Rs 15,000 can be spent on stationery items and postage and Rs 30,000 for a person providing secretarial assistance to the MP.
* Under the Members of Parliament Local Area Development Scheme (MPLADS) each member could recommend to the concerned District Authority developmental works to the tune of Rs 5 crore per annum to be taken up within the constituency.
* An MP is also entitled to travel allowances when he/she is travelling on offical duty - either to attend Parliament, a committee meeting or any other duty that is connected to his office. The allowance covers return travel to the MP's usual place of residence.
Air travel - One and one-fourth (25 percent more) than the air fare of the airlines in which the member travels. The MP can avail 34 single air journeys during a year with his/her spouse. The MP's spouse/companion can also travel alone eight times in a year to meet the member. However, this amount is included in the 34 journeys.
Train travel - The MP is entitled to a non-transferable first class AC train pass allowing him/her to travel in any train. The MP is also entitled to one first class and one second class fare each time the MP travels.
Road travel - Perhaps the means of travel least used, MPs are entitled to Rs 16 per km travelled.
* Each MP is entitled to a rent-free flat or hostel accommodation throughout his/her term of office. A member who requests for a bungalow shall pay full licence fee if entitled to such accommodation.
After they cease to be MPs, the accomodation can be retained for a maximum period of one month, provided the rent amount is paid by the MP.
However, in case of an MP who passes away while in office, the family may retain government accommodation for a maximum period of six months from the date of death on payment of rent.
An MP is also entitled to guest accomodation at Western Court Hostel, Janpath.
*An MP is entitled to a loan of Rs 4 lakh to purchase a vehicle. The amount, however, is recovered from the MP's salary in sixty equal installments.
*A member is entitled to have three telephones. One of which should be installed at the MPs residence or office in Delhi and one at the MP's usual place of residence or any such place selected by the MP.
The MP is also entitled to two mobile phone connections, one of which has to be on a BSNL/MTNL network. The MP is also entitled to 3G facilities on these mobile numbers.
The total number of free calls on these numbers collectively is 1,50,000 local calls in a year. The 3G data charge is also adjusted within this amount.
Other facilities enjoyed by members include washing of sofa covers and curtains every three months, as well as purchase of furniture not exceeding Rs 75,000.
For a complete list of all the benefits an MP is entitled to, click here.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
'Budget not for damads of country, but for poor,' says Sitharaman in Rajya Sabha, accuses Oppn of creating false narrative
Hitting out at the Congress for taking the credit for MGNREGA, the Union finance minister said, "You may have given birth to the scheme but you left it in a mess."
Sitharaman accuses Oppn of creating 'false narrative' in Rajya Sabha; Lok Sabha passes arbitration amendment bill
The Rajya Sabha has been adjourned till 8 March with Chairman Venkaiah Naidu saying that the Upper House clocked 99 percent productivity during the two-week-long sitting of the two-phased Budget session
Parliament Updates: Lok Sabha adjourned for the day; Sitharaman to reply on Budget debate at 10 am tomorrow
Parliament LIVE Updates: Meanwhile, BJP MP Sanjay Jaiswal moved a Privilege Motion Notice against Congress MP Rahul Gandhi, citing "serious breach of privilege and contempt of the House on 11th February 2021"