There seems to be no end to the incidents of sexual violence against women in India. If one considered last December's Delhi gangrape to be brutal, here is an incident of a five-year-old child who was raped, mutilated and almost strangled to death.
Doctors treating the child said that when the girl was brought in, “she was scared, not fully conscious. “Foreign objects like candle and oil bottle were found in her body. We can tell about her condition only after 24 to 48 hours of observation. As of now her condition is critical,” RK Bansal, physician, Swami Dayanand Hospital told CNN-IBN.
While Parliament on 21 March passed the much debated anti-rape bill, which has 'stringent' provisions for crimes against women, clearly the bill has not served as a deterrent.
Here are some statistics of sexual violence in New Delhi:
* In 2011, there were 572 cases that were reported, that number grew to 706 in 2012
* Out of the 706 - in only 26 cases was the accused found to be unknown to the victim
* 96% of rapes reported were allegedly committed by an accused known to the victim
* In 2012, there were 727 cases of molestation that were reported in Delhi
* In 2012, 3,675 kidnapping cases had been registered - again a rise from 2011 which recorded 3,529 cases
* On an average 14 children go missing in the capital on a daily basis
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Updated Date: Apr 19, 2013 14:56:41 IST