NDFB(S) serial attacks: Nearly 25,000 refugees return home

Altogether 81 people, including 66 Adivasis, 13 Bodos and two Bengali-speaking persons, have been killed since 23 December evening in serial attacks by NDFB(S) terrorists, retaliatory violence and police firing across four districts.

hidden January 06, 2015 21:03:52 IST
NDFB(S) serial attacks: Nearly 25,000 refugees return home

Guwahati: Nearly 25,000 refugees hit by NDFB (S) violence in Assam have returned to their homes in the last 24 hours with gradual improvement of the situation though around 1.3 lakh people are still lodged in these temporary shelters across four districts.

Addressing a press conference today, Assam State Disaster Management Authority (ASDMA) Chief Executive Officer Pramod Kumar Tiwari said 1,29,828 persons are living in 77 relief camps in Kokrajhar, Sonitpur, Chirang and Udalguri districts at this moment.

NDFBS serial attacks Nearly 25000 refugees return home

L S Changsan, Commissioner & Secretary, Home and PK Tiwari, CEO, Assam State Disaster Management Authority and SN Singh IGP Law & Order, addressing a press conference on relief measures for the people affected by terrorist violence in Guwahati on Monday. Image courtesy DIPR

"During last 24 hours, 8 relief camps have been closed down in Chirang, Sonitpur, Udalguri and Kokrajhar districts... In total, 24,651 inmates have left the relief camps for their villages during this period," he said.

There has been no report of any untoward incident from any part of these districts and the situation has been improving fast, Tiwari said, adding the authority is hopeful that all people will return to their homes very soon.

At present, nearly 1.1 lakh people are staying at 59 relief camps in Kokrajhar. It is followed by Chirang, where almost 20,000 people are staying at 11 camps.

Authorities are running only one relief camp in Sonitpur and 356 people are staying here at this moment. Udalguri has six camps and houses around 1,400 inmates.

Tiwari also said that district officials of Kokrajhar today went to Alipurduar in West Bengal and brought back the refugees from two camps.

Altogether 81 people, including 66 Adivasis, 13 Bodos and 2 Bengali-speaking persons, have been killed since 23 December evening in serial attacks by NDFB(S) terrorists, retaliatory violence and police firing across four districts.

A total of 128 police cases have been filed in different places and 83 persons have been arrested so far.

"Of the total arrested, 9 are NDFB(S) cadres and their linkmen. Rest all have been apprehended for rioting, arsoning and other related charges during post-attack violence," Assam Commissioner and Secretary (Home and Political) L Sweety Changsan said.

Out of total registered cases, the state government has handed over four cases to NIA.

Changsan also said the NIA Director General Sharad Kumar, who is on a trip to Assam, has held talks with Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi this evening and met other senior officials of the government.

"The NIA is conducting the investigation. We have informed the NIA chief of all cooperation and full support from the state government in the probe into the attacks," she said.

PTI

Updated Date:

also read

West Bengal Assembly Election 2021: Voting for fourth phase today; steps to locate polling station
Politics

West Bengal Assembly Election 2021: Voting for fourth phase today; steps to locate polling station

A polling station is a designated place where electors go to cast their vote. A polling booth, on the other hand, is set up by parties and candidates beyond a distance of 200 meters from the polling stations.

NTA releases Assam Olympiad 2021 admit card; download from ao.nta.ac.in
India

NTA releases Assam Olympiad 2021 admit card; download from ao.nta.ac.in

The exam will be conducted in two shifts - 8.30 am to 11.30 am for classes 6 to 9 and from 1.30 pm to 4.30 pm for Classes 10 to 12

'Anil Deshmukh sought Rs 2cr, Anil Parab told me to extort money': Sachin Waze in letter to NIA court
India

'Anil Deshmukh sought Rs 2cr, Anil Parab told me to extort money': Sachin Waze in letter to NIA court

The special court, however, refused to accept the letter asking Waze to to follow proper procedure. The court also allowed the CBI to question Waze about these charges.