Mumbai shamed: People stood mute as eve-teasers attacked

Mumbai: Mumbai’s reputation as a safe city just went for a toss. People stood mute spectators as a bunch of eve-teasers stabbed two youths at Amboli. Ruben Fernandes, one of the youths hurt while trying to protect his friend succumbed to his injuries on Monday. His friend Keenan Santos, who was also knifed in the incident, had died 11 days ago.

"People stood there watching...did nothing," said Priyanka Fernandes, Keenan Santos' girlfriend, according to a CNN-IBNreport. She added that her sense of security was shattered.

Screengrab from ibnlive

Both Rueben (28)  and Keenan (25) were attacked with  choppers  by a group of four after the duo objected to their indecent behaviour  towards the girls with whom they had gone on an outing.

"Fernandes was injured on October 20 outside Amboli Bar and Restaurant on Caesar Road. He died on October 31 night while undergoing treatment in Kokilaben Hospital," said inspector VD Bhoite of D N Nagar police station.

Sentos, a former chef in a hotel, died soon after the incident while Fernandes, who was unemployed, was undergoing treatment in Kokilaben Hospital since then, Bhoite added.

Sentos and Fernandes, along with five others, including three girls, had gone to the bar to have dinner and watch a cricket match on a giant screen put up there. After a while, they came out of the restaurant and were standing near a pan shop when the incident had occurred, police said.

Following the attack, police searched the area to nab the accused who were identified as Jitendra Rana (25), Sunil Bote (20), Satish Dulgaj (35) and Deepak Tival (19). They were later traced and arrested. One of them is a labourer, another is a barber while the rest are unemployed, police said.

The four accused were booked under IPC sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 324 (voluntarily causing hurt by dangerous weapons or means) and 34 (acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention).

Meanwhile, friends of the two victims have started a campaign under the title "Justice Fo rKeenan and Rueben" on social networking site 'Twitter' to seek support from people.

One of the comments that appeared on the site was "should protecting your friend be rewarded with murder? Question your safety, Question the authorities".

Another comment read "wake up politicians! Is it what India has come to?".

Speaking to the media, Keenan's father Valerian demanded that the accused be severely punished and appealed all those, who had seen the murderous attack, to come forward before the court to give evidence so that justice is done.

Agencies


Updated Date: Nov 03, 2011 10:49 AM