Rescue workers in Jalandhar have pulled out a man who was trapped in the rubble of a collapsed building for more than 48 hours. The death toll meanwhile has risen to seven.
The rescued man told workers that he saw four dead bodies inside the factory. So far a total of 58 people have been rescued. The victims were all factory workers who were working the night shift on Sunday, when the four-story structure collapsed. Over 90 others are still believed to be trapped under the rubble.
Rescue operations to locate possible survivors are continuing.
Visiting the scene, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal announced that special safety audits would be conducted in all industrial units in the state to prevent such mishaps.
The audits would be conducted by industries and local government departments to ascertain both latent and patent defects in buildings, he told reporters.
Police have already arrested the owner of the factory building and have registered a case of culpable homicide not amounting to murder against him.
Your guide to the latest seat tally, live updates, analysis and list of winners for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on firstpost.com/elections. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates from all 542 constituencies on counting day of the general elections.
Updated Date: Apr 18, 2012 09:15:54 IST