KFC unit in Kerala shut after live worms found in chicken

A branch of fast food chain Kentucky's Fried Chicken (KFC) in Thiruvananthapuram was inspected by government officials after the outlet was found serving food with worms in it.

Following a complaint by a family, Food Safety Authority officials conducted an inspection and found that the outlet hadn't adhered to sanitation guidelines.

"We came here after we received a complaint. We were told that worms were found in the chicken by the customer who informed us. When we inspected the place, we found worms in the fried chicken," Thiruvananthapuram district officer, Food Safety Authority, Sivakumar said.

Authorities examining KFC chicken in Thiruvananthapuram. Screen grab from CNN IBN

Some of the chicken seized by authorities was five months old, according to a CNN-IBN report.

The outlet has been shut for now and officials are now inspecting other outlets of the fast food chain to ensure they are sticking to the prescribed norms.

The inspection of KFC outlets comes months after the Kerala government went into overdrive against food outlets serving shawarmas in July.

On 10 July, 21-year-old Sachin Mathew, a hotel management graduate, died after consuming shawarmas from a restaurant in Thiruvanathapuram. The cause of death was ascertained to be due to food poisoning.

Updated Date: Oct 09, 2012 12:20 PM

Also Watch

IPL 2018: Royal Challengers Bangalore eye revival against Chennai Super Kings as 'Cauvery Derby' comes back to life
  • Thursday, April 26, 2018 In the Kanjarbhat community, a campaign against 'virginity tests' is slowly gaining ground
  • Tuesday, April 24, 2018 It's A Wrap: Beyond the Clouds stars Ishaan Khatter, Malavika Mohanan in conversation with Parul Sharma
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See