Kashmir unrest: Curfew remains in force for the 47th day
Curfew remained in force in some areas of Srinagar and two towns of south Kashmir on Wednesday, while restrictions on the assembly of people in rest of the Valley continued for the 47th consecutive day in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani
Srinagar: Curfew remained in force in some areas of Srinagar and two towns of south Kashmir on Wednesday, while restrictions on the assembly of people in rest of the Valley continued for the 47th consecutive day in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.
Curfew is in force in five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo and Maisuma areas in the uptown, a police official said.
He said in south Kashmir, curfew continued in Anantnag town and was imposed in Pampore town on Wednesday to maintain law and
On Tuesday, the authorities lifted curfew from most areas of Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, in view
of the improving situation.
The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased traffic of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre on Tuesday.
However, the official said, restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under Section 144 of the CrPC will continue in the rest of the Valley to maintain law and order.
Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 47th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike.
Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads.
The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said.
Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles
The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani's killing, has asked people to hold an assessment drive in all villages and localities on Wednesday to prepare a list of the needy.
As many as 65 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousands injured in the clashes that began on 9 July, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of south Kashmir's Anantnag district.
The separatist camp, headed by Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, has extended the agitation till 25 August.
Separatists-sponsored strike in Kashmir valley over death of civilians disrupts normal life; businesses shut, public transport affected
Shops, private offices, fuel stations and other business establishments were shut here in the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said. They said public transport was off the roads while private cars were seen plying in few areas of the city.
The Hurriyat leaders had called for a march to Aripanthan area of Budgam for protesting against the killing of four persons in CRPF firing on 16 August.
The separatist camp today extended the shutdown call in Kashmir till 5 August "to protest against the civilian deaths" which took place during clashes following the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter earlier this month.