Jigisha Ghosh murder: Delhi court convicts all three accused in 2009 case

A Delhi court pronounced all three accused in the 2009 Jigisha Ghosh murder case guilty, on Thursday. After seven years, the accused Amit Shukla, Baljeet Malik and Ravi Kapoor have been convicted.

File image of Jigisha Ghosh. CNN-News18

File image of Jigisha Ghosh. CNN-News18

Jigisha was an IT executive who was working with Hewitt Associate Pvt Ltd as operations manager, reported Business Standard.

She was abducted and killed in 2009 when she was returning from work in her official cab at Vasant Vihar, at around 4 am.

Shukla, Kapoor and Malik were drunk the day the murder happened and approached Jigisha on the excuse of asking for an address. She was then pulled inside a Santro car and her belongings were snatched. Her body was dumped on Surajkund-Faridabad Road.

The trial began on 15 April, 2010 and Jigisha’s father was the first prosecution witness.

Additional Sessions Judge Sandeep Yadav held the accused guilty of the offences of murder, abduction, robbery, forgery and common intention under the IPC. Kapoor was also convicted for the offence of using firearms under the Arms Act.

The judge said, "It is abundantly clear from evidence that they committed the crime. There is no missing link of crime (and) hence innocence is ruled out. It is proved on record that Jigisha did not return home on expected time on the day of incident."

The court fixed 20 August for hearing arguments on quantum of sentence. It also asked Delhi's Home Secretary to immediately
appoint probation officers for filing reports on the background of the convicts and their conduct in jail.

The weapon which was used to kill Jigisha led the police to another murder case of Journalist Soumya Vishwanathan. These three particular accused shot her dead on 30 September, 2008 when she was driving home from her office, reported CNN-News18.

Jigisha’s mother Sabita told Times Of India, "I have developed neurological problems and Jigisha's father, too, has not been keeping well ever since she was murdered. There isn't a moment when we are not reminded of our daughter and how brutally she was killed.”

Her parents were receiving threat calls from unknown numbers calling for compromise.

Here is a timeline of the murder case:

With inputs from agencies.


Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Jul 14, 2016 18:42:04 IST

Also See