India keeping 'constant vigil' at Doka La, has established mechanisms to resolve misunderstanding with China: MEA
India and China have established mechanisms which they use to resolve any 'misunderstanding', the external affairs ministry said on Friday and asserted that it was keeping a 'constant vigil' on the situation in Doka La.
New Delhi: India and China have established mechanisms which they use to resolve any "misunderstanding", the external affairs ministry said on Friday and asserted that it was keeping a "constant vigil" on the situation in Doka La.
Responding to questions on reports of Chinese military buildup in the area close to last year's standoff site, external affairs ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar referred to the ministry's reaction on Thursday that "the status quo at the faceoff site has not been altered. Any suggestion to the contrary is inaccurate and mischievous."
"We are of course keeping a constant vigil on developments which have a bearing on India's national security and take all necessary steps to safeguard it. The two sides do have, and have used established mechanisms to resolve any misunderstanding," Kumar said.
The spokesperson also refused to comment on the army chief's remarks. The army chief had said that Chinese have carried out some "temporary" infrastructure development in the area.
Earlier in Beijing, China justified its massive construction activities in the Doka La area, describing it as "legitimate" and which were aimed at improving the lives of its troops and the people living on its own territory.
Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang's also said, "China's position on the Donglong (Doka La) area is quite clear. Donglong always belonged to China and always under China's effective jurisdiction. There is no dispute in this regard."
Lu made these comments in response to reports that it was building a huge military complex close to the site of the Doka La standoff.
Indian and Chinese troops were engaged in a standoff for over two months last year in the Doka La area near Sikkim before "disengaging" on 28 August.
Over the past few days, incidents of protesters vandalising railway stations, setting trains on fire and blocking roads and railway tracks have been reported across India
Indian Army will recruit 25,000 'Agniveers' in the next 180 days and the process for recruitment of the remaining 15,000 will begin a month after that, said Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt General B S Raju
Over 12,000 Indian students are awaiting to return and their details have been forwarded to the Chinese government for processing. But China is yet to come up with a criterion to permit the return of the students in view of the recent COVID-19 spike in the country