Hyderabad building collapse: Five dead, one accused arrested, many feared trapped under debris

Three people were killed and many are still feared trapped under the debris after a multi-storied, under construction building collapsed in Hyderabad on Thursday night.

According to a report by ANI, one accused has been arrested by the police and search for the other accused is underway.

The incident occurred in Nanakramguda, an information technology suburb under the limits of Hyberabad police commissionerate limits.

Police said a seven-storied building collapsed. Construction workers and their families who were asleep were trapped under the rubble.

Police and fire brigade personnel launched rescue operation. National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) teams also joined the rescue work.

Rescue workers pulled out 12 people from the rubble and shifted them to a nearby hospital.

Cyberabad Police Commissioner Sandeep Shandilya said 15 to 20 people could be trapped under the debris.

About 10 families, mostly labourers, were living in the premises of the building, according to Hyderabad Mayor B Rammohan.

Telangana Home Minister N Narsimha Reddy and several other leaders and officials rushed to the spot where rescue work is underway.

Reddy said violation of rules has been noticed in the construction of the building.

Telangana Home minister N Narshimha Reddy said different figures were being given on the number of persons trapped under the debris. "Nobody is saying exactly," he said.

State Excise Minister T Padma Rao said the number of persons trapped would be known only after the debris are removed.

"Unless the slabs are removed, we can not say responsibly. Six slabs have fallen on one another. Neither I nor you can say... It would be known only after the slabs are removed, how many workers are there.

"Some say six persons have died and some say seven died. Nobody knows how many were there and how many killed, but the truth would come out only after the slabs are lifted," he said.

The immediate priority right now is to remove the debris and ascertaining how many were trapped, he said.

The government would act tough against those responsible for this tragedy for any violation of rules, the Excise Minister said.

Expressing anguish on the collapse of the multi-storey building, Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao directed ministers from the city to take care of the rescue and relief operation.

He also directed officials to take the help of NDRF personnel.

Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Commissioner B Janardhan Reddy said no body had been recovered so far.

Efforts were on to remove the debris and the administrative machinery has been pressed into service, he said.

"At this stage, it is difficult to say the cause of the collapse," the Commissioner said.

With inputs from agencies

Updated Date: Dec 09, 2016 16:32:38 IST