Delhi Police files chargesheet against 10 people in baby-selling racket, rescues five infants during investigation

New Delhi: The Delhi Police has filed a chargesheet before a Delhi court in connection with a baby-selling racket case, an official said Sunday.

"A 24-page charge sheet was filed on 14 November in a city court against 10 people who were arrested for allegedly running a baby-selling racket in August," he said.

According to the official, five babies were rescued by police during the operation.

File image of Delhi Police. Reuters

File image of Delhi Police. Reuters

The chargesheet was filed under various sections of the IPC pertaining to kidnapping, trafficking, forgery of record of court or of public register and the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act.

Acting on a tip-off, two police personnel met one of the accused posing as a childless couple on 14 August.

"A woman sub-inspector Preeti and head constable Rajesh posed as husband and wife and met one of the accused Mohammad Jahangir," the charge-sheet said.

The couple chose a baby and Jahangir demanded Rs 4.30 lakh but after some negotiations, the final amount was decided at Rs 3.30 lakh.

"He asked the couple to get the money in an hour and told the two that his accomplices Jyoti and Rahul will bring the child near a bank in Naraina Vihar," the charge-sheet said.

Jahangir was arrested after he handed over a newborn baby to the police personnel, it said.

The baby was admitted to a hospital, where he died on 26 August.

Jyoti and Rahul were arrested and during interrogation, they told police that the baby was bought from Mithila, a resident of New Friends Colony.

Subsequently, Mithila was arrested and police later learned about one Jitendar Kumar, who was also involved in the racket.

"Kumar told police about one Kavita who had bought a five to seven days' old infant from a woman agent named Parveen for Rs 4 lakh and later sold the child to a chemist named Balbir Singh for Rs 5 lakh," the charge-sheet said.

More arrests were made but Kavita continued to remain elusive. A non-bailable warrant was issued against her by a city court on 10 September.

Later, a lookout circular was also issued against her and she surrendered on 20 September.

Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to and hit the Subscribe button.

Updated Date: Nov 18, 2018 22:17:46 IST

Also See