Delhi gangrape victim wanted to live, tormentors brought to justice

New Delhi: Fighting with great fortitude and courage after sustaining grievous injuries, the 23-year-old gangrape victim had expressed her intention to live and wanted her tormentors to be brought to justice.

"I want to live," the girl had told her brother and mother when they first met her on 19 December, three days
after she was brutally gang-raped and assaulted in a moving bus in south Delhi.

During the entire process of her treatment, the girl remained communicative through signs most of the time, spoke
to her parents and gave statements to a magistrate not once but twice.

Hospital staff carry the body of the gangrape victim to the police morgue vehicle at the Mount Elizabeth hospital in Singapore. AFP

The paramedical student was courageous and brave throughout the treatment period and even expressed some
thoughts about her future when psychiatrists assessed her thrice during her 10-day treatment at the Safdarjung Hospital.

She also gave a "brave statement" to a Sub-Divisional Magistrate on 21 December in which she gave details about the
incident and the sequence of events which was also corroborated with the statement given by her male friend who
was with her in the bus.

When the statement landed in a controversy, she again narrated the incident to the magistrate and expressed her wish
that the men who brutally raped and assaulted her be brought to justice.

Doctors have been lauding the spirit of the girl calling her "brave" especially as she withstood the extensive
treatment that she underwent since 16 December.

The victim, whom doctors described as "psychologically composed and optimistic about future", had shown signs of
improvement during treatment but her condition worsened on Christmas night after her pulse rate plummeted for a brief
period and was shifted to Singapore hospital.

The girl, who was rushed to Safdarjung Hospital on 16 December, underwent two major and one minor surgeries in
the past 10 days during which major part of intestine was removed.

The 23-year-old victim has been on ventilator for majority of her stay in the hospital, except for two days when
she was taken off ventilator and started breathing on her own.


Updated Date: Dec 29, 2012 09:06 AM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See