Delhi court reserves order on summoning journalist Priya Ramani as accused in defamation case filed by MJ Akbar

MJ Akbar, who resigned as Union minister on 17 October, 2018 had filed a private criminal defamation complaint against Priya Ramani after his name cropped up on social media when he was in Nigeria as the #MeToo campaign raged on in India

Press Trust of India January 22, 2019 13:08:25 IST
Delhi court reserves order on summoning journalist Priya Ramani as accused in defamation case filed by MJ Akbar
  • Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal reserved the order after listening to arguments from Akbar's lawyer

  • Priya Ramani accused Akbar of sexual misconduct around 20 years ago, which was denied by him

  • Akbar, who resigned as Union minister on 17 October, 2018 had filed a private criminal defamation complaint against Priya Ramani

New Delhi:  A Delhi court on Tuesday reserved for 29 January its order on whether to summon journalist Priya Ramani as an accused in a defamation case filed by former Union minister M J Akbar after she levelled allegations of sexual misconduct against him.

Delhi court reserves order on summoning journalist Priya Ramani as accused in defamation case filed by MJ Akbar

File image of MJ Akbar. News18

Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Samar Vishal reserved the order after listening to arguments from Akbar's lawyer, who said a prima facie case was made out against Ramani.

Akbar, who resigned as Union minister on 17 October, 2018 had filed a private criminal defamation complaint against Ramani after his name cropped up on social media when he was in Nigeria as the #MeToo campaign raged on in India.

Ramani accused Akbar of sexual misconduct around 20 years ago, which was denied by him.

The court had on 11 January recorded the statements of three more witnesses in support of the case filed by Akbar.

The three witnesses – Tapan Chaki, Manjar Ali and Rachna Grover – who were associated with Akbar deposed before the court, saying they were extremely "distressed and dismayed" as grave damage has been caused to his reputation due to the allegations.

It had earlier recorded the statements of Akbar and Joyeeta Basu, the editor of Sunday Guardian, in the matter.

Akbar had told the court in his statement that an "immediate damage" has been caused to him due to the "scurrilous", concocted and false allegations of sexual misconduct.

Multiple women have come out with accounts of alleged sexual harassment by him while he was working as a journalist.

He had termed the allegations "false, fabricated and deeply distressing" and said he was taking appropriate legal action against them.

Expressing her readiness to fight the defamation allegations, Ramani had said, "Rather than engage with the serious allegations that many women have made against him, he seeks to silence them through intimidation and harassment.

 

Updated Date:

also read

China’s foreign ministry 'not aware' of controversy surrounding Peng Shuai amid increasing international scrutiny
Sports

China’s foreign ministry 'not aware' of controversy surrounding Peng Shuai amid increasing international scrutiny

Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told reporters that the matter was “not a diplomatic question and I’m not aware of the situation.”

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai says she is 'safe and well' in a video call with IOC chief Thomas Bach
Sports

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai says she is 'safe and well' in a video call with IOC chief Thomas Bach

"Peng Shuai thanked the IOC for its concern about her well-being," IOC chief Thomas Bach said.

Peng Shuai case being 'maliciously' hyped up, says China as international pressure grows
Sports

Peng Shuai case being 'maliciously' hyped up, says China as international pressure grows

Peng Shuai, a Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, was not seen for more than two weeks after she made the sexual assault accusations against a former vice premier.