Day after Modi jibe, Rawat orders probe into misappropriation of Uttarakhand disaster fund

Rawat also took strong exception to Modi's remarks that even a scooter with a capacity of five liters of oil could drink 35 liters of it, a reference to the alleged scam in relief funds.

PTI December 28, 2016 16:15:11 IST
Day after Modi jibe, Rawat orders probe into misappropriation of Uttarakhand disaster fund

Dehradun: Uttarakhand government on Wednesday instituted a judicial probe into the alleged misappropriation of disaster relief funds in the state after the 2013 natural calamity which claimed thousands of lives, a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi raised the issue to lash out at the Harish Rawat dispensation for corruption.

Announcing the probe, Rawat also took a jibe at his predecessor Vijay Bahuguna, who is now with the BJP and was at the helm when disaster relief operations were carried out in the state. He said the saffron party should have conducted an in-house inquiry into the irregularities as the "entire family of executors of the alleged scam are now with them".

Day after Modi jibe Rawat orders probe into misappropriation of Uttarakhand disaster fund

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Harish Rawat. PTI

The Prime Minister had on Tuesday said at a rally in Dehradun that he was going to drag Uttarakhand out of the "bottomless pit of corruption in which it was languishing under the present regime".

Rawat also took strong exception to Modi's remarks that even a scooter with a capacity of five liters of oil could drink 35 liters of it, a reference to the alleged scam in relief funds.

The chief minister said though the alleged irregularities in the distribution of relief after 2013 tragedy had already been probed by a panel constituted by the state government, a judicial probe has been ordered into it after the Prime Minister's remarks.

"Though a probe committee headed by the then chief secretary had found no veracity in the allegations and given a
clean chit to everyone involved in the massive relief operations, now that the PM has reiterated the charge we have asked retired justice MS Chauhan of Chandigarh High Court to conduct a probe into the alleged irregularities and find out if there was any negligence on part of officials or any misappropriation of disaster relief funds," Rawat told reporters at a press conference.

Asked why he was not recommending a CBI probe into the allegations, Rawat said he had more faith in the judiciary and it was in his hands to order a judicial probe.

"It is now a general impression all over the country that the CBI is a tool in the hands of the Centre to settle scores with political adversaries. I have therefore more faith in our judicial institutions. Moreover ordering a judicial probe was in my hands whereas I would have had to look to central authorities for a CBI probe," he said.

Rawat said calamities strike all of a sudden and quick decisions have to be taken to deal with the situation,
sometimes even at the cost of relaxing the rules and norms.

"However, we are ready for a judicial probe into any negligence on part of officials or misuse of funds,"  he said.

The chief minister also accused the BJP of trying to grab credit for the all-weather Chardham roads project inaugurated by the Prime Minister in Dehradun on Tuesday, saying the state government was very much part of the process of its launch.

"It is not BJP's brainchild as the party is trying to make it appear. We had conceived the project and consistently worked towards its early launch," he said.

However, he said he welcomed the launch of the project as the state stood to benefit from it in a big way "provided it is implemented in the manner promised".

Updated Date:

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

In Narendra Modi's condemnation of US Capitol siege lies coded message for India
India

In Narendra Modi's condemnation of US Capitol siege lies coded message for India

'The democratic process cannot be allowed to be subverted through unlawful protests,' tweeted Narendra Modi in response to rioters storming the US Capitol in Washington, DC

Narendra Modi to inaugurate Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline over video conference today
India

Narendra Modi to inaugurate Kochi-Mangaluru natural gas pipeline over video conference today

The total project cost around Rs 3,000 crore and its construction created over 12 lakh man-days of employment, the PMO said in a statement

Narendra Modi inaugurates Kochi-Mangaluru pipeline; promises to double natural gas share in India
India

Narendra Modi inaugurates Kochi-Mangaluru pipeline; promises to double natural gas share in India

The government has an 'integrated approach to energy planning and our energy agenda is all-inclusive', said the prime minister on Tuesday