Coronavirus Outbreak: Delhi Bar Council says high court should consider total shutdown till 31 March

It also suggested that no advocates, their staff or litigants be allowed to enter the court premises, except for urgent matters and said that the entire premises should be sanitised periodically

Asian News International March 23, 2020 17:43:58 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: Delhi Bar Council says high court should consider total shutdown till 31 March

New Delhi:  The Bar Council of Delhi on Monday said the High Court should consider a total shut down till 31 March to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

Coronavirus Outbreak Delhi Bar Council says high court should consider total shutdown till 31 March

File image of Delhi High Court. PTI

It also suggested that no advocates, their staff or litigants be allowed to enter the court premises, except for urgent matters and said that the entire premises should be sanitised periodically.

"According to the directions issued by the High Court, which were observed in the last week, it is noticed that even though the urgent matters are listed before the courts but the situation is similar to as observed during vacations," the Bar Council of Delhi said in a statement.

It said that since there is no official declaration of holidays, the advocates and litigants have to come to the courts.

Click here to follow LIVE updates on coronavirus outbreak

"In this situation such it may be considered to go for a total shut down for the period up to 31 March, 2020, which should also be declared as vacation," it said.

"The cases listed during this period may be adjusted curtailing the future holidays to compensate," the Bar Council of Delhi added.

Updated Date:

also read

North Korea fires short-range ballistic missile towards eastern seas, says Seoul
World

North Korea fires short-range ballistic missile towards eastern seas, says Seoul

South Korea's military condemned North Korea's launch as a 'serious provocation' that violates UN Security Council resolutions and 'damages the peace and safety' of the region and the broader international community

Explained: The $250 million lawsuit against Donald Trump
World

Explained: The $250 million lawsuit against Donald Trump

New York Attorney General Letitia James has accused former US president Donald Trump and his three children of fraud. The civil lawsuit claims the Trumps’ lied to lenders and insurers about billions of dollars’ worth of assets

South Korean activists clash with police over launching balloons with anti-Pyongyang propaganda materials
World

South Korean activists clash with police over launching balloons with anti-Pyongyang propaganda materials

Park Sang-hak, a North Korean defector-turned-activist, said he and his group had launched about eight balloons from an area in the South Korean border town of Paju Saturday night when police officers arrived at the scene and prevented them from sending their 12 remaining balloons