Casualties could run into several hundreds: Bahuguna

The Uttarakhand chief minister said Kedarnath has been the worst hit with only the sanctum sanctorum and a couple of adjoining sections intact.

hidden June 20, 2013 20:13:29 IST
Casualties could run into several hundreds: Bahuguna

Dehradun: Terming the calamity that struck Uttarakhand as unprecedented, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna today said the casualties caused by the floods must run into several hundreds.

"The tragedy is huge and damages tremendous with vast tracts of land still submerged under tonnes of debris. The casualties could run into several hundreds," Bahuguna told reporters at the secretariat in Dehradun.

Casualties could run into several hundreds Bahuguna

Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna. Image courtesy PIB

He said the Kedarnath area has been the worst hit with only the sanctum sanctorum and a couple of adjoining sections of the Himalayan shrine intact. Most structures in its vicinity have been washed away.

However, rescue efforts are going on in full swing and most of the stranded pilgrims at Kedarnath dham are expected to be evacuated by Friday after which evacuation of pilgrims from Badrinath will be taken up.

Earlier, principal secretary Rakesh Sharma said 11,000 people stranded in Gangotri and Yamunotri routes in Uttarkashi district were evacuated through air and road routes to their respective destinations.

"Our focus right now is to vacate Kedarnath valley completely where 250 people are still stranded. Once we are through with this process we will move on to Badrinath where 9,000 people are stuck," Sharma said.

When asked exactly how many people had been killed in the calamity, he said it was difficult to arrive at a number but the figures can be "shockingly huge".

Sharma said massive damages have been caused to Kedarnath and it will take no less than a year to restore the shrine to its previous glory.

PTI

Updated Date:

also read

Chernobyl after 35 years: 10 chilling images reveal scars left behind by nuclear disaster
World

Chernobyl after 35 years: 10 chilling images reveal scars left behind by nuclear disaster

The Chernobyl nuclear disaster that took place on 26 April 1986 was a result of Cold War isolation and lack of safety culture.

35 years since nuclear explosion, Chernobyl remains a place of 'tragedy and memory' for Ukrainians
World

35 years since nuclear explosion, Chernobyl remains a place of 'tragedy and memory' for Ukrainians

The Chernobyl zone saw its tourism increase twofold after the lauded television miniseries of 2019 and officials hope that level of interest will continue, or grow, once the global pandemic has receded.

UKPSC postpones RO/ARO prelim exams due to second COVID wave; visit ukpsc.gov.in for details
India

UKPSC postpones RO/ARO prelim exams due to second COVID wave; visit ukpsc.gov.in for details

The examinations were scheduled to be held from 23 May but now stands deferred till further notice. The commission will announce new dates on the official website ukpsc.gov.in