In the aftermath of Bulandshahr violence, the Yogi Adityanath administration, transferred Bulandhshahr Senior Superintendent of Police, Krishna Bahadur Singh to the DGP Headquarters in Lucknow. He is being replaced by Sitapur Superintendent of Police Prabhakar Chaudhary.
The move comes hours after the police administration transferred two other police officials — Circle Officer (CO) Satya Prakash Sharma and Suresh Kumar, the in-charge of Chingravathi police chowki — for their failure in responding in time to the situation arising on Monday in their local area.
While Sharma has been sent to Police Training College in Moradabad, Kumar has been transferred to Lalitpur.
A senior home department official said they have been taken to task for not being fast enough in reacting to the situation that arose after some Hindu right-wing activists found some animal carcasses in the field and took them on tractor trolleys to block a road.
The action was taken after a high-level meeting was presided over by the Director General of Police (DGP) OP Singh, who had handed over the report prepared by Additional Director General of Police SB Shiradkar, to Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
The Bulandshahr BJP and Bajarang Dal celebrated the SSP's removal. A video of the party workers garlanding Syana BJP MLA Devendra Lodhi went viral on Saturday.
Meanwhile, simultaneous action against the accused who were part of the rioting mob also continued.
Citing sources, both NDTV and India Today reported that that the Northern Army Command has handed over the custody of Jeetendra Malik, alias Jeetu Fauji, to a team of Uttar Pradesh police, which visited Udhampur to arrest Malik.
Based on evidence from the video footage of the incidence, the police suspects that Malik could be the person who fired the fatal shot that killed inspector Subodh Kumar Singh. Malik reportedly escaped to Jammu and Kashmir after the incident.
Several reports claimed the murder of Singh could have been pre-planed. Two days before Singh was killed during the mob violence in Bulandshahr, local BJP leaders had demanded his transfer after accusing him of creating obstacles for religious functions.
In a letter sent to Bulandshahr MP Bhola Singh, they alleged that his behaviour caused resentment in the Hindu community. The letter was forwarded by the MP to Bulandshahr SSP KB Singh demanding a probe against him.
On Friday, the SSP confirmed to PTI that he had received such a letter from Bhola Singh. When asked what action was taken over it, he said probe orders were given. The letter, which was surfaced on social media, was signed by BJP's Syana city chief Sanjay Shrotri, city vice-president Kapil Tyagi, former corporator Manoj Tyagi, BB Nagar Mandal president Neeraj Chaudhary, BJP Assembly convener Vijay Kumar Lodhi and Syana block pramuk Pushpendra Yadav.
Chief minister Adityanath, however, has already termed the Bulandshahr incident an "accident". He had earlier said the incident was the result of a "big conspiracy" but at a media event in Delhi on Friday, he said that the incident was actually an accident. "No mob lynching happened in Uttar Pradesh, what happened in Bulandshahr is an accident," he said.
The police have arrested nine accused but the main conspirator Yogesh Raj, the district convener of the Bajrang Dal, continues to be at large.
Firstpost is now on WhatsApp. For the latest analysis, commentary and news updates, sign up for our WhatsApp services. Just go to Firstpost.com/Whatsapp and hit the Subscribe button.
Updated Date: Dec 08, 2018 19:13:29 IST