Bombay HC directs molestation accused to sweep streets in return for quashing charges

Mumbai: In a unique punishment, the Bombay High Court on Thursday directed four youth from Thane, who are accused of molestation and attempt to murder, to sweep public roads every week for six months, in return for quashing police proceedings against them.

The four accused -- Ankit Jadhav, Suhas Thakur, Milind More and Amit Adhakle -- had moved the High Court seeking quashing of the case of molestation and attempt to murder lodged against them in October 2015.

Bombay High Court. File photo Reuters

Bombay High Court. File photo Reuters

Police said that during the Dussehra procession in Thane last year, the four in an inebriated state misbehaved with some women and assaulted one person who intervened.

Subsequently, police in Naupada lodged a first information report, charging them with attempt to murder and molestation.

The four accused made the plea on grounds that they had amicably resolved the issue with the complainants.

A division bench comprising Justice R.V. More and Justice V.L. Achiliya said the court will quash the case in return for community service.

The court directed the four to sweep public roads in Thane for eight hours every Sunday for the next six months under the supervision of a police officer.

IANS


Updated Date: Jan 07, 2016 20:32 PM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See