Bellary: Driver's suicide note accuses Janardhan Reddy of laundering Rs 100 crore black money
Former BJP minister in Karnataka, Gali Janardhan Reddy has been accused of laundering black money of over Rs 100 crore in a suicide note left by Ramesh Gowda.
Former BJP minister in Karnataka Gali Janardhan Reddy has been accused of laundering black money of over Rs 100 crore in a suicide note left by Ramesh Gowda, the driver to special land acquisition officer Bheema Nayak in Bengaluru. The cause of suicide was consumption of poison. Gowda died in Maddur.
Correction: Driver of a Karnataka Administrative Service officer commits suicide,in letter says knew of G Janardhana Reddy converting Rs100 cr black money into white
— ANI (@ANI_news) December 7, 2016
Gowda in his suicide note claimed that he was receiving regular death threats because he had information on how Reddy had converted Rs 100 crore of black money into white.
Janardhan Reddy had recently come under criticism for the extravagant spending on his daughter's wedding. The lavish wedding is estimated to have cost Rs 100 crore. Over 50,000 guests had attended the wedding with some big names in Karnataka politics but many from BJP didn't attend the event, according to The Indian Express. Reddy is a former BJP minister and had faced arrest in the 2012 illegal mining case. He was released on bail last year. He had been actively preparing for his daughter's wedding soon after released on bail.
This is a personal fight between the driver and Bheema Nayak, not linked to this: BJP leader B Sreeramulu pic.twitter.com/Z7OKEhZv1t
— News18 (@CNNnews18) December 7, 2016
The high-cost wedding came under criticism as it was held a little over a week after the demonetisation decision by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and many leaders were told to keep away from the wedding. According to a report by CNN-News18, Reddy, who is known as the mining-baron, spent Rs 500 crore on the wedding. The Income Tax department had visited Reddy's residence in Bellary after the wedding.
Former Karnataka Chief Minister has said that he doesn't know anything and that inquiry will reveal the truth.
I don't know about it, the details of this. Once inquiry is made truth will come out on it's own: B. S. Yeddyurappa on Reddy pic.twitter.com/IKMcp2HkUu
— ANI (@ANI_news) December 7, 2016
In his suicide letter, which was accessed by CNN-News18, Ramesh has alleged that Bhima Naik was holding the following properties. Here is the translated version of the letter.
About Bhima Naik, KAS, disproportionate assets and corruption
1. He has illegal property worth over Rs.100 Crore
2. Has bought a bungalow at Sadashivanagar in Belgaum when he was Tahasildar
3. Has bought a house at Hospet in Bellary district after taking loan from Bank Of India. Size 20 Gunta plot
4. Has bought 30 acres of agricultural land at Hagaribommanahalli in Bellary district
5. 10 Acre land at Mariyammanahalli in Bellary district
6. Bought Rs.5 Crore worth land from a man called Anil Jain
7. Has own house at Attur, Yelahanka
8. Has an IOC petrol pump in the name of his brother Krishna Naik
9. Has two high end cars in brother’s name
10. One car in another brother Arjun’s name
11. Has paid Rs.25 lakh bribe to Revenue Minister’s PS Nagaraju to close a departmental inquiry against him
12. He has bought jewellery worth over Rs.1 crore at Krishnaiah Chetty & Sons. Has bought a diamond ring worth Rs.50 lakhs (Customer ID 142565)
13. Has bought clothes worth Rs.50 lakhs from a Commercial Street shop
14. Has bought clothes worth Rs.50 lakhs from Sudarshan Silk House
15. Has done lot of corruption at various places
16. Using my account number he has transferred a lot of money to relatives
17. On 28/10/2016 he had met B Sriramulu and Janardhana Reddy at Parijatha Guest House. Kotresh Naik of Hadagali was also with them. Had agreed to pay Rs.25 crore to Sriramulu and Reddy for BJP Assembly ticket from Hagaribommanahalli in 2018 assembly election.
18. On 15/11/2016 – Bhima Naik met Reddy at Taj Hotel. Told me that he had given Rs.25 crore white money to Reddy.
19. He has visited Sriramulu’s house several times in his car - KA-05 MT 4449 and KA 03 MU 8964
20. He has converted about Rs.100 Crore old notes into Rs.50,100 and 2000 currencies for 20% commission.
Since I knew about laundering I was threatened and assaulted. Even the goondas were sent to attack me.
My sister’s son Manoj Gowda should lit my funeral pyre. I am grateful to all my friends. I hold Bhima Naik and his driver Mohammed responsible for my death.
This death note is written by me in my own hand.
Ramesh K C
Letter accessed by CNN News 18
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.
Coronavirus Outbreak Updates: Madhya Pradesh govt to promote 1st, 2nd year UG students based on previous scores; 1,128 cases in Mumbai today
Coronavirus Outbreak LIVE Updates: Tamil Nadu reported 2,710 new COVID-19 cases and 37 deaths, taking the total number of cases to 62,087 and death toll to 794. Number of active cases stands at 27,178.
Coronavirus Outbreak Updates: Confirmed cases in Mumbai surge to 66,507 as city reports 1,242 new infections; toll rises to 3,669 with 41 deaths
Coronavirus Outbreak Updates: Mumbai on Sunday recorded 1,242 new coronavirus positive cases and 41 deaths, taking the total positive cases to 66,507 and toll to 3,669.
Further decisions on re-opening higher education institutions will be taken after consultation with vice-chancellors and stakeholders