Babri Masjid demolition case: SC revives criminal conspiracy charge against Advani, Uma Bharti
BJP leaders LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti will face trial in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case, as the Supreme Court restored criminal conspiracy charges against them
BJP leaders LK Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharti will face trial in the 1992 Babri Masjid demolition case, as the Supreme Court allowed the CBI plea and restored criminal conspiracy charges against them on Wednesday.
The court also clubbed the trial in the matter pending against the leaders and 'karsevaks' and said the proceedings should be completed in two years. "We have allowed the CBI appeal against the Allahabad High Court judgment with certain directions," a bench comprising Justices PC Ghose and RF Nariman said.
The apex court, however, noted that Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh enjoys constitutional immunity and can be tried only after he ceases to hold the office. Kalyan Singh was chief minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1992, when the incident took place.
The court also gave significant directions, including that separate trials being conducted in trial courts at Raebareli and Lucknow be clubbed and conducted in the capital of Uttar Pradesh only. It also said that the trial judge of Lucknow "shall not
be transferred" till conclusion and delivery of judgment in the sensational case.
The court further said that no party shall be granted adjournment without the sessions judge being satisfied of the reasons for it and conduct day-to-day trial which should be concluded within two years.
It also directed probe agency CBI to ensure that prosecution witnesses appear on each and every date for recording of evidence in the case and the trial court should start the proceedings within four weeks. It, however, clarified that there would be no de novo (fresh) trial in the matter.
The bench also directed that its order should be followed in letter and spirit and granted liberty to the parties to approach it if its directions are not followed. There were two sets of cases relating to the demolition of the disputed structure on 6 December, 1992. The first involved unnamed 'karsevaks', the trial of which is taking place in a Lucknow court, while the second set of cases
relate to the leaders in a Raebareli court.
An international media consortium has reported that over 300 verified Indian mobile phone numbers were on the list of potential targets for surveillance using Pegasus spyware
Pegasus row: SC to set up technical experts committee to inquire into matter, formal order next week
The observation assumes significance as the Centre had earlier offered to set up an expert panel on its own to look into the grievances of alleged snooping on phones
Of the 68 names, two from Karnataka and one from Jammu and Kashmir have been sent for a third time, while 10 others have been recommended for a second time