New Delhi: Former Telecom Minister A Raja's erstwhile private secretary RK Chandolia, facing trial in the 2G spectrum allocation case, today claimed in a Delhi court that he has been falsely implicated in the case by the CBI as he refused to "toe the line" of the probe agency.
Deposing before Special CBI Judge OP Saini, Chandolia said being the private secretary of Raja, he was not involved in any decision taken by the Department of Telecommunication (DoT) and there was no allegation that he had received even a single rupee from anyone.
"This case is against me because I did not toe the line CBI wanted me to toe. My position was only of a Private Secretary and I was not involved in any decision of the department," he said.
Chandolia, whose recording of statement was concluded today, also alleged that, "I have been implicated in the case since I was working as Private Secretary to A Raja... and the
CBI wanted to create a false link between him and the officers who were responsible for the actions on which the case has been framed."
"When CBI did not find any evidence against me they used route of oral instructions to falsely implicate me in the case through false and fabricated statements from the officers which were directly or indirectly involved with the processing decisions and could be pressurised for obvious reasons," he claimed.
During the day's proceedings, the court also recorded the statements of Unitech Ltd Managing Director Sanjay Chandra and Swan Telecom promoter Vinod Goenka, who are also facing trial in the case.
In his statement, Chandra claimed that he was implicated in the case and was made a scapegoat by the CBI.
Earlier, Raja had sought to drag Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's name in the court by saying all actions were taken with his "concurrence" and not "unilaterally".
The stage for the recording of evidence of Raja and 16 other accused, including DMK MP Kanimozhi, was set earlier when the court had supplied a draft questionnaire containing 1,718 questions running into 824 pages to the accused.
In the case involving Raja and 16 others, the court had on 27 November last year concluded recording of prosecution evidence after deposition of CBI's Superintendent of Police
Vivek Priyadarshi, the chief investigating officer, got over.
Besides Raja and Kanimozhi, former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra, Reliance ADAG executives -- Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair -- are facing trial in the case.
Directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV Director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani are also accused in the case.
Besides these 14 accused, three telecom firms Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd, Reliance Telecom Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd are also facing trial in the case.
They have been arraigned as accused in the first two CBI charge sheets filed on 2 and 25 April, 2011 respectively.
Your guide to the latest cricket World Cup stories, analysis, reports, opinions, live updates and scores on https://www.firstpost.com/firstcricket/series/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019.html. Follow us on Twitter and Instagram or like our Facebook page for updates throughout the ongoing event in England and Wales.
Updated Date: May 07, 2014 20:11:12 IST