Coronavirus Outbreak: ICC discussing possibility of COVID19 substitutes for Test matches, reveals ECB's Steve Elworthy

The International Cricket Council (ICC) is discussing the possibility of introducing substitutes if a player tests positive for COVID-19 during a Test match, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) director of special projects Steve Elworthy said.

Reuters June 04, 2020 23:40:06 IST
Coronavirus Outbreak: ICC discussing possibility of COVID19 substitutes for Test matches, reveals ECB's Steve Elworthy

The International Cricket Council (ICC) is discussing the possibility of introducing substitutes if a player tests positive for COVID-19 during a Test match, England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) director of special projects Steve Elworthy said.

 <span class=Coronavirus Outbreak ICC discussing possibility of COVID19 substitutes for Test matches reveals ECBs Steve Elworthy" width="380" height="285" />

File image of the ICC logo. Reuters

Last year, the ICC approved “like for like” substitutes across all formats of international cricket to replace concussed players during matches and Elworthy said the same rule would have to be applied for COVID-19 substitutes.

"COVID replacements are certainly something that the ICC are discussing," Elworthy told Sky Sports.

“I’ve seen communication about that and it’s certainly something we hope would be allowed — specifically for Test matches, not necessarily ODIs (one-day internationals) or T20s (Twenty20).

“That replacement would have to be a ‘like for like’ player... Our on-site COVID medical practitioner and Public Health England would be informed immediately and that player would then be put into isolation for a period of time.”

England are set to host the West Indies in a three-Test series next month, with the visitors flying in a 14-man squad plus 11 reserves who will train and quarantine together before the first Test scheduled for 8 July in Southampton.

“With the testing protocols of getting those players into that (bio-secure) bubble first, you would hope that wouldn’t be a scenario we’d have to deal with,” Elworthy added.

“But clearly it’s something we are planning for.”

Updated Date:

also read

England vs New Zealand: Joe Root says Ollie Robinson has shown 'genuine remorse' over 'unacceptable' tweets
First Cricket News

England vs New Zealand: Joe Root says Ollie Robinson has shown 'genuine remorse' over 'unacceptable' tweets

England skipper Root said that he was shocked and didn't know initially how to react to the development.

England vs New Zealand: British PM Boris Johnson criticises ECB’s suspension of Ollie Robinson after discovery of old tweets
First Cricket News

England vs New Zealand: British PM Boris Johnson criticises ECB’s suspension of Ollie Robinson after discovery of old tweets

Johnson's comments came not long after Secretary of Culture and Sport Oliver Dowden said ECB's decision to indefinitely suspend Robinson was "over the top".

England vs New Zealand: ECB’s suspension of Ollie Robinson ‘over the top’, says England sports secretary Oliver Dowden
First Cricket News

England vs New Zealand: ECB’s suspension of Ollie Robinson ‘over the top’, says England sports secretary Oliver Dowden

England pacer Robinson has been suspended from all international cricket pending the outcome of an investigation following tweets he posted in 2012 and 2013.