Zee to buy TV channels, radio stake from Anil Ambani's Reliance | Reuters

MUMBAI Zee media group has agreed to buy television channels and a stake in a radio broadcasting business from billionaire Anil Ambani's Reliance Group in a move that would help the latter cut its debt by about 19 billion rupees ($277 million), the two sides said on Wednesday.Zee Media Corp Ltd will initially buy a 49 percent stake in Reliance Group's FM radio business that operates stations in 45 cities and has rights to frequencies for 14 new channels, the two sides said in a joint statement.Both companies will have a call/put option for the remaining 51 percent stake after a stipulated lock-in period, they said. In a separate deal, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd will buy two general entertainment channels and four licences to run TV channels from the Reliance Group.Reliance Capital Ltd, which owns the radio and television businesses, will use the proceeds to cut its debt, according to the statement.

Reuters November 23, 2016 22:30:06 IST
Zee to buy TV channels, radio stake from Anil Ambani's Reliance
| Reuters

Zee to buy TV channels radio stake from Anil Ambanis Reliance
 Reuters

MUMBAI Zee media group has agreed to buy television channels and a stake in a radio broadcasting business from billionaire Anil Ambani's Reliance Group in a move that would help the latter cut its debt by about 19 billion rupees ($277 million), the two sides said on Wednesday.Zee Media Corp Ltd will initially buy a 49 percent stake in Reliance Group's FM radio business that operates stations in 45 cities and has rights to frequencies for 14 new channels, the two sides said in a joint statement.Both companies will have a call/put option for the remaining 51 percent stake after a stipulated lock-in period, they said.

In a separate deal, Zee Entertainment Enterprises Ltd will buy two general entertainment channels and four licences to run TV channels from the Reliance Group.Reliance Capital Ltd, which owns the radio and television businesses, will use the proceeds to cut its debt, according to the statement.

($1 = 68.6905 rupees)

(Reporting by Sankalp Phartiyal; Editing by Subhranshu Sahu)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date:

also read

No expiry date on justice: Germany puts 100-year-old former concentration camp guard on trial
World

No expiry date on justice: Germany puts 100-year-old former concentration camp guard on trial

The suspect, Josef Schuetz, stands accused of "knowingly and willingly" assisting in the murder of 3,518 prisoners at the Sachsenhausen camp in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, between 1942 and 1945

Rahul Gandhi visits AIIMS, inquires about Manmohan Singh's health from doctors
India

Rahul Gandhi visits AIIMS, inquires about Manmohan Singh's health from doctors

The former prime minister was admitted to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on Wednesday evening after he suffered from fever and weakness

Abundantia Entertainment, Friday Film House team up for Hindi remake of Malayalam film #Home
Entertainment

Abundantia Entertainment, Friday Film House team up for Hindi remake of Malayalam film #Home

The Hindi remake of Home marks the second collaboration between Abundantia Entertainment and Friday Film House after Angamaly Diaries