U.S. abstains for first time on U.N. call for end to Cuba embargo| Reuters
By Michelle Nichols | UNITED NATIONS UNITED NATIONS The United States on Wednesday abstained for the first time from a United Nations General Assembly vote on a resolution calling for an end to a U.S. economic embargo on Cuba, after opposing such measures every year for 24 years.For the 25th time, the 193-member General Assembly adopted the resolution with 191 votes in favor
By Michelle Nichols
| UNITED NATIONS
UNITED NATIONS The United States on Wednesday abstained for the first time from a United Nations General Assembly vote on a resolution calling for an end to a U.S. economic embargo on Cuba, after opposing such measures every year for 24 years.For the 25th time, the 193-member General Assembly adopted the resolution with 191 votes in favor. Israel, which opposed the resolution last year, also abstained on Wednesday. Such resolutions are non-binding, but can carry political weight.Communist-run Cuba and the United States, former Cold War foes, began normalizing relations in 2014. U.S. President Barack Obama has taken steps to ease trade and travel restrictions on Cuba, but only the U.S. Congress can lift the full embargo.The Republican-controlled Congress has resisted Obama's call to lift Washington's economic embargo after more than 50 years. Republican critics say Obama is making too many concessions to Cuba for too little in return, especially on human rights.The U.N. General Assembly applauded when U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power announced prior to the vote that the United States would abstain.
"Abstaining on this resolution does not mean that the United States agrees with all of the policies and practices of the Cuban government. We do not," Power told the General Assembly. "We are profoundly concerned by the serious human rights violations that the Cuban government continues to commit with impunity against its own people," she said.
Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez described the abstention as a "positive step for the future of improving relations between the United States and Cuba."Rodriguez said in September that damage from U.S. sanctions between April 2015 and March 2016 amounted to $4.6 billion and to $125.9 billion since the embargo's inception more than 50 years ago.In March, Obama made the first visit to Havana by a U.S. president in 88 years. His trip was made possible by his breakthrough agreement with Cuban President Raul Castro in December 2014 to cast aside decades of hostility that began soon after Cuba's 1959 revolution.
Since the opening, Obama has repeatedly used his executive powers to relax trade and travel restrictions, while pushing Cuba to accelerate market-style reforms and boost political and economic freedoms.The U.N. resolution adopted on Wednesday takes note of the steps taken by Obama as positive but "still limited in scope." It urges the United States to repeal or invalidate the embargo on Cuba as soon as possible. (Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by James Dalgleish)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
MANILA Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte on Wednesday said he would open numerous economic sectors to foreign investors and move against protectionism.Speaking in New Zealand after a Asia-Pacific summit in Peru, Duterte said he had decided it was time to speed up the "entry of new players" into energy, power and information and communications technology sectors, as well as freeing up the airwaves.Investors in the Philippines, one of the world's fastest- growing economies, have complained often of regulations that can restrict foreign investment in various areas, among them telecoms and utilities.
By Yashaswini Swamynathan Losses in technology stocks dragged down the Nasdaq and the S&P 500 in choppy trading on Thursday, while bank and energy shares propped up the Dow. Declines in Facebook, Microsoft and Apple pushed the Nasdaq to a two-week low, while setting the S&P 500 technology index for its worst day since August.While Wall Street has rallied since the November election on hopes that President-elect Donald Trump's policies would be market friendly, technology stocks have gained the least, rising by a mere 0.6 percent.
By James Oliphant and Emily Stephenson | WASHINGTON WASHINGTON New York's attorney general ordered Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's charitable foundation to immediately stop fundraising in the state, saying the Trump Foundation was breaking a law that requires charities to register with a state government agency."The failure immediately to discontinue solicitation and to file information and reports required under Article 7-A with the Charities Bureau shall be deemed to be a continuing fraud upon the people of the state of New York," according to a letter dated on Friday that the attorney general's office posted online.The "notice of violation," issued by the office of New York state Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, followed a series of reports in The Washington Post that suggested improprieties by the Trump Foundation, including using the foundation to settle legal disputes.The cease-and-desist order could undercut Trump's efforts to make the Clinton Foundation, the family charity of Democratic rival Hillary Clinton, a central line of attack in his presidential campaign against her.Trump has sought to paint the Clinton family charity as a "pay-to-play" operation under which the former secretary of state and her husband, former President Bill Clinton, rewarded big donors to the foundation with access.The scrutiny on the Trump Foundation came as Trump was dealing with a torrent of bad news, including his shaky debate performance against Clinton on Sept. 26 and the release by the New York Times of tax records that showed Trump taking an almost $1 billion loss in 1995 that may have allowed him to avoid paying federal income taxes for up to 18 years.