Two British journalists detained in Libya

A British Foreign Office spokeswoman said two British nationals had been detained and confirmed their identities.

hidden February 25, 2012 19:49:19 IST
Two British journalists detained in Libya

Tripoli:  Libyan militiamen have detained two British journalists working for Iran's Press TV and are now holding them in the capital Tripoli, officials and the media station said.

Press TV said on its website a reporter and cameraman along with two local residents were seized on Wednesday by a brigade in the coastal town of Misrata, whose rebel fighters fought in last year's war which ousted Muammar Gaddafi.

It said it had not been in contact with the four since Tuesday. It identified the two British men as Nicholas Davies and Gareth Montgomery-Johnson.

A source at the Libyan Interior Ministry confirmed they were being held by a Misrata brigade in Tripoli. A British Foreign Office spokeswoman said two British nationals had been detained and confirmed their identities. "Our embassy in Tripoli is providing consular assistance," she said. It was not clear why the men had been detained.

Two British journalists detained in Libya

Media Reports identified the two British men as Nicholas Davies and Gareth Montgomery-Johnson.

Libya's transitional government, appointed in November, is leading the oil-producing nation to its first free elections in June but its struggling to impose its authority on a country awash with weapons.

Heavily-armed militias have stepped into the vacuum, carving the country into local fiefdoms. Their fighters say they are loyal to Libya's new rulers but answer only to their own commanders. They often clash because of disputes over who controls which neighbourhoods.

Reuters

Updated Date:

also read

Cricket South Africa clears coach Mark Boucher of racism and other disciplinary charges
First Cricket News

Cricket South Africa clears coach Mark Boucher of racism and other disciplinary charges

Cricket South Africa has withdrawn its disciplinary charges, including charges of racism, against Proteas coach Mark Boucher during a hearing, confirmed the body on Tuesday.

South Africa batter Zubayr Hamza suspended by ICC for doping violation
First Cricket News

South Africa batter Zubayr Hamza suspended by ICC for doping violation

The ICC on Tuesday suspended Hamza from all cricket-related activities for a period of nine months after he admitted to an anti-doping rule violation under the apex body's anti-doping code.

India vs South Africa: Tristian Stubbs gets maiden Proteas call-up for T20 series, Wayne Parnell returns after 5 years
First Cricket News

India vs South Africa: Tristian Stubbs gets maiden Proteas call-up for T20 series, Wayne Parnell returns after 5 years

The 16-member South Africa contingent will be led by Temba Bavuma as South Africa make a return to international T20 cricket for the first time since the ICC T20 World Cup in late 2021.