Prince was to meet with addiction doctor on 'life-saving mission' | Reuters

Music legend Prince died one day before he was scheduled to meet a doctor on a 'life-saving mission' who was well known for pain management and addiction, the doctor's lawyer said in a news conference on Wednesday.

California doctor Howard Kornfeld was first contacted by Prince representatives on April 20, attorney William Mauzy told reporters, confirming a Minneapolis Star Tribune‎ report.

Kornfeld, who runs Recovery Without Walls, a clinic in Mill Valley, California, had asked a Minnesota doctor to do an initial assessment on Prince on April 21, and planned to fly out the following day.

Prince was found dead on April 21 at age 57 at his home-studio complex called Paisley Park in a Minneapolis suburb. Prescription opioid medication was found on him, media reported, citing law enforcement sources.

"Dr Kornfeld felt that his mission was a life-saving mission," Mauzy said.

"Dr. Kornfeld was never able to meet Prince, never talked to Prince, and was sadly not able to arrive on time to help Prince," Mauzy said. "He wishes he had had the opportunity to meet with him and treat him along with a local Minnesota doctor."

Representatives for the late singer did not immediately respond to a request for comment

Kornfeld's clinic specializes in medical treatment for chronic pain and drug and alcohol addiction, its website says.

Mauzy said Kornfeld's son, Andrew Kornfeld, who is a staff member of his California clinic, had arrived at Paisley Park on the morning of April 21 to initiate contact with Prince and talk about a treatment program.

Medication used in pain management and addiction were found in Andrew Kornfeld's backpack on the scene, Mauzy said, emphasizing that no pills or medication were given to Prince by the doctor or his son.

Mauzy said he is concerned officials may charge Andrew Kornfeld, but he believes a good Samaritan 911 law will give him immunity. Mauzy did not elaborate on possible charges and did not respond to Reuters' request for comment.

The hope was to stabilize Prince in Minnesota and convince him to go to the California clinic for care, Mauzy added.

When Andrew Kornfeld arrived, Prince was not available, Mauzy said. A staff member found Prince unconscious in an elevator and Andrew Kornfeld called 911.

He was interviewed by Carver County sheriff's officials later that morning and returned to California that night, Mauzy said.

Prince's cause of death remains undetermined and it could be weeks before results are released from an autopsy. Police have said they found no signs of suicide or obvious trauma in Prince's death.

(Additional reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis; editing by Piya Sinha-Roy and Andrew Hay)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.

Updated Date: May 04, 2016 20:57 PM

Also See