Operation to secure Pathankot air base continues - IAF | Reuters

NEW DELHI The operation continues to secure the Pathankot air base after a militant attack on Saturday, the Indian Air Force (IAF) said on Sunday, while the government said it could not yet confirm that two remaining gunmen had been eliminated.

"The area cannot be declared fully sanitised," Air Marshal Anil Khosla told a news briefing in New Delhi.

Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi told reporters in New Delhi that four gunmen had been confirmed killed and he hoped the two still at large would be "neutralised" by evening. Without recovering their bodies they could not be confirmed dead.

(See pictures here | See graphic on location of air base here reut.rs/1mxiE1F)

A total of seven military personnel were killed and 20 injured in the pre-dawn attack on the Pathankot air base that lies 25 km from the border with Pakistan.

(Reporting by Krista Mahr; Writing by Douglas Busvine; Editing by Alison Williams)

This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.


Updated Date: Jan 03, 2016 19:02 PM

Also Watch

Watch: Firstpost test rides the new Thunderbird 500X in Goa and walks you through the Royal Enfield Garage Cafe
  • Tuesday, April 17, 2018 Varun Dhawan on Shoojit Sircar's October, 5-star reviews and working with Anushka Sharma in Sui Dhaaga
  • Saturday, April 14, 2018 Ambedkar Jayanti: Re-visiting Babasaheb's ideals exposes fake Dalit politics of Rahul Gandhi and Congress
  • Monday, April 9, 2018 48 hours with Huawei P20 Pro: Triple camera offering is set to redefine smartphone imaging
  • Monday, April 16, 2018 Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore interview: Sports can't be anyone's fiefdom, we need an ecosystem to nurture raw talent

Also See