Microsoft to cut 1,850 jobs at struggling smartphone unit | Reuters
HELSINKI/SAN FRANCISCO Microsoft Corp ( MSFT.O ) announced more big cuts to its smartphone business on Wednesday, just two years after it bought handset maker Nokia in an ill-fated attempt to take on market leaders Apple Inc ( AAPL.O ) and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd ( 005930.KS ). In a move that clearly puts the stamp of two-year chief executive Satya Nadella on the U.S. company, Microsoft said it would shed up to 1,850 jobs, most of them in Finland, and write down $950 million from the business.
HELSINKI/SAN FRANCISCO Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) announced more big cuts to its smartphone business on Wednesday, just two years after it bought handset maker Nokia in an ill-fated attempt to take on market leaders Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd (005930.KS).
In a move that clearly puts the stamp of two-year chief executive Satya Nadella on the U.S. company, Microsoft said it would shed up to 1,850 jobs, most of them in Finland, and write down $950 million from the business. It did not say how many employees currently work on smartphones in the group as a whole.
Shares of Microsoft were trading around $52 late Wednesday, roughly flat with their $51.59 close Tuesday, but significantly up from $34.20 when Nadella became CEO in February 2014.
Remaking Microsoft, known primarily for its software, into a more device-focused company was a hallmark of previous chief executive Steve Ballmer.
In one of his last major acts, Ballmer closed a deal to buy Nokia's (NOKIA.HE) struggling but once-dominant handset business for about $7.2 billion in late 2013. The deal closed in April 2014, two months after Nadella became CEO.
Since then, Nadella has shaved away at the phone business, starting with a 2015 restructuring that put the devices group, previously a stand-alone unit under former Nokia chief Stephen Elop, under the Windows group. Run by Terry Myerson, the Windows division is the company's biggest.
A Finnish union representative told Reuters the cuts would essentially put an end to Microsoft's development of new phones.
"My understanding is that Windows 10 will go on as an operating system, but there will be no more phones made by Microsoft," said Kalle Kiili, a shop steward.
Microsoft said in a statement it would continue to develop the Windows 10 platform and support its Lumia smartphones, but gave no comment on whether it would develop new Windows phones.
Global market share of Windows smartphones fell below 1 percent in the first quarter of 2016, according to research firm Gartner.
Last year, Microsoft announced $7.5 billion of writedowns and 7,800 job cuts in its phone business.
Earlier this month, Microsoft sold its entry-level feature phones business for $350 million.
The company said on Wednesday it expected to cut all 1,350 jobs at its Finnish mobile phone unit and close down a research and development site in the country. A further 500 jobs will go in other countries, it said, without giving details.
"We are focusing our phone efforts where we have differentiation," Nadella said in a statement.
"We will continue to innovate across devices and on our cloud services across all mobile platforms."
Nokia dominated around 40 percent of the world's mobile phone industry in 2008 before it was eclipsed by the rise of touch-screen smartphones.
As a result, Nokia and Microsoft have slashed thousands of Finnish jobs over the past decade, and the lack of substitute jobs is the main reason for the country's current economic stagnation.
Nokia, now focused on telecom network equipment, just last week said it was cutting around 1,000 jobs in Finland following its acquisition of Franco-American rival Alcatel-Lucent (ALUA.PA).
The Microsoft phone business still has a dedicated fan in Ballmer, who bragged about his device at a San Francisco dinner hosted by Fortune in March.
"It's a Windows phone," he said as the audience laughed. "Why wouldn't it be?"
(Reporting by Jussi Rosendahl, Tuomas Forsell and Sarah McBride; Editing by Adrian Croft and Andrew Hay)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
KUWAIT Yemen's warring parties have agreed to a prisoner exchange before the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in early June, sources from both delegations told Reuters on Thursday. The decision was a show of goodwill between the Iran-allied Houthis and Yemen's Saudi-backed exile government as peace talks in Kuwait aimed at ending a year-long war dragged into a second month. However, the two sides appeared to differ on the number of prisoners to be released.
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey A year after Turkey's pro-Kurdish opposition entered parliament as a party for the first time, to great fanfare about a maturing of Turkish democracy, its embattled leader is struggling to save it from banishment to the political wilderness. President Tayyip Erdogan, who accuses the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) of links to Kurdish militants, signed a bill on Tuesday lifting lawmakers' immunity from prosecution and has made no secret of his desire to see HDP members indicted. The move could see the party's parliamentary presence wiped out.
Before Sunday morning, few Americans had heard of Orlando gunman Omar Mateen’s British headquartered employer, G4S, the world’s largest global security firm, which employs more than 610,000 people in 110 countries. In the United States alone, G4S security guards stand watch over airports, water and power plants, nuclear facilities, immigration detention centres and even, as in the case of Mateen, gated communities. Since 2008, G4S Secure Solutions — the company’s American subsidiary — has received nearly $830 million worth of federal, state and local government contracts, including for the Department of Homeland Security, according to the SmartProcure database.