Jaguar Land Rover says half of its new cars will have electric option by 2020 | Reuters
LONDON Half of all new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles will be available in an electric version by the end of the decade, Britain's biggest carmaker said on Wednesday, after showcasing its first electric car this week. The automaker, owned by India's Tata Motors (TAMO.NS), unveiled the all-electric Jaguar I-PACE Concept SUV at the Los Angeles Auto Show
LONDON Half of all new Jaguar Land Rover vehicles will be available in an electric version by the end of the decade, Britain's biggest carmaker said on Wednesday, after showcasing its first electric car this week. The automaker, owned by India's Tata Motors (TAMO.NS), unveiled the all-electric Jaguar I-PACE Concept SUV at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The model is due to hit the streets by 2018, in a sign of how car manufacturers are seeking to tap growing demand for more environmentally-friendly vehicles. "We are shaping the future, developing our own approach to autonomy, connectivity and electrification to offer our customers more choice," said Chief Executive Ralf Speth.
Last year, Jaguar Land Rover said it would double the size of its powertrain engineering centre in central England to support the development of more low-emission vehicles, the fastest growing market for new cars in Britain.
Speth told Reuters in September that it would make sense for the firm to build both electric batteries and vehicles in Britain. The company said cleaner diesel and petrol engines and plug-in hybrid vehicles were also part of its plans.
(Reporting by Costas Pitas; Editing by Mark Potter)
This story has not been edited by Firstpost staff and is generated by auto-feed.
By Ahmed Rasheed | BAGHDAD BAGHDAD An Iraqi Shi'ite militia said on Wednesday it was on the verge of driving Islamic State fighters from an air base west of Mosul, a victory which would threaten the Sunni group's supply route from Syria to its last major stronghold in Iraq.Some Islamic State fighters have already pulled out of the Tal Afar base and moved to the town of the same name, said Jafaar Hussaini, a spokesman for Kata'ib Hezbollah, an Iranian-backed group."The battle will be finished today," he said.Should Kata'ib Hezbollah succeed, it would be a significant development in the campaign to recapture Mosul, Islamic State's de facto capital since its forces swept through Iraq in 2014 and set up a self-declared caliphate in a swathe of Syria and northern Iraq.The base lies about 60 km (38 miles) west of Mosul on the main road to Syria and its recapture would endanger Islamic State's supply route for Mosul.But the development could also alarm Turkey, which is wary of Shi'ite involvement in the civil war in Syria.Kata'ib Hezbollah is a main component of the Popular Mobilisation, a coalition of mainly Shi'ite militias taking part in the battle for Mosul.While the Shi'ite coalition is fighting Islamic State west of Mosul, regular army and police units are trying to advance from the other sides, backed by Kurdish Peshmerga fighters deployed in the north and the east.Iraqi counter-terrorism forces breached Islamic State defences in east Mosul two weeks ago but have faced resistance from the militants, who have fought back with suicide car bombs, snipers and waves of counter-attacks.The campaign that began on Oct. 17 with air and ground support from a U.S.-led coalition is the biggest military operation in Iraq in more than a decade of turmoil unleashed by the 2003 invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein. Popular Mobilisation, known locally by its Arabic name Hashid Shaabi, has said it plans to use Tal Afar base to take the battle against Islamic State into Syria, fighting on the side of President Bashar al-Assad, an ally of Iran.Although it officially reports to Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi, it is mainly trained and equipped by Iran.Popular Mobilisation's advance towards Tal Afar, which had a mixed population of mainly Shi'ite and Sunni Turkmen before Islamic State captured it in 2014, has raised the prospect of sectarian strife and alarmed neighbouring Turkey.Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said last month that Turkey was reinforcing its troops on the border with Iraq and would respond if the militias "cause terror" in Tal Afar.Iraq's Abadi has sought to calm fears that the operation to recapture Tal Afar would ignite sectarian tension or escalate problems with Turkey, saying the attacking force that would enter the town will reflect its religious and ethnic make-up.
CARACAS OPEC countries are ready to reach a "forceful" agreement on cutting oil output, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro said on Wednesday, following a meeting with OPEC Secretary-General Mohammed Barkindo in Caracas."There is sufficient will among OPEC countries to take the step we need to take in the month of November, (to reach) a forceful agreement to reduce production and construct new mechanisms to stabilise the market," Maduro said in a televised broadcast from the presidential palace.He said the agreement should "guarantee a realistic and balanced price for those countries that have (oil reserves)."Barkindo praised Maduro for leading the effort to stabilise markets, describing the situation as the most severe oil market crisis in 50 years. He is expected to visit more OPEC members in the next few days
ANKARA One of the two suicide bombers in an attack on an Istanbul soccer stadium last weekend had come from Syria, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Wednesday.The twin attacks in Istanbul on Saturday - involving a suicide bomber on foot and another in a car - killed 44 people, mostly policemen, outside Besiktas soccer stadium, and injured more than 150.Earlier this week, Turkish police carried out a series of raids and detained 568 people over alleged links to Kurdish militants, intensifying a crackdown after the bombings.An offshoot of the militant Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) claimed responsibility for the attacks on Saturday night. "We are always telling our counterparts that we are receiving this threat. And now, we see that the Besiktas bomber also came from Syria," Cavusoglu told TGRT TV in an interview