Court bars anyone from entering Ambedkar Bhavan till the next hearing
The Bombay High Court on Friday said no one will enter the premises of the recently demolished Ambedkar Bhavan in Central Mumbai and attempt to rebuild or restore it.
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday said no one will enter the premises of the recently demolished Ambedkar Bhavan in Central Mumbai and attempt to rebuild or restore it.
Justice S J Kathawalla was hearing an application filed by People's Improvement Trust, which runs the Ambedkar Bhavan in Dadar, against the proposed rebuilding of the demolished structure through 'shramdaan' (voluntary contribution of labour).
According to the Trust, it had on 1 June received a notice from the (BMC) directing it to demolish the three structures in the premises as it was in a dilapidated and dangerous condition.
As per the notice, the Trust started demolition work on 25 June. However, the same day, supporters of B R Ambedkar, mobilised by his grandson Prakash Ambedkar entered the premises and protested against demolition.
Prakash Ambedkar has now called for the followers of the late Dalit leader to assemble at the premises on 30 July and rebuild and restore the structure.
The court on Friday restrained any person or group to enter the said premises and maintain status quo till the next hearing of the application 1 August.
"I do not want anyone to do anything till this matter is heard. Maintain status quo. If some person breaches this order then the Commissioner of Police shall take necessary action," Justice Kathawalla directed.
According to the Trust, there were three structures in the premises, which have been demolished. Prakash and his brother Anandraj were occupants of one of the structure.
The Trust told the High Court that Prakash and Anandraj would be allowed to occupy the proposed 17-storeyed redeveloped structure in future.
From one structure, Prakash operated and undertook printing press work and from the other structure, the Trust operated. The open courtyard along with a hall was often given on rent for public functions to earn funds for the maintenance of the structure.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro at ₹499 for the first year. Use code PRO499. Limited period offer. *T&C apply
Bhima Koregaon case: Bombay HC grants Varavara Rao six months interim bail, says 'genuine and fit case'
The bail conditions include a direction to the accused in Elgar Parishad case to stay within the jurisdiction of the Mumbai NIA court for the bail period
Mumbai-based model and actor Sakshi Malik filed a complaint against the makers of V for allegedly using her photograph without permission
The court made the remarks earlier this month while upholding the conviction of a 35-year-old man from Pandharpur for assaulting his wife