Celebratory gunfire at Saudi wedding kills 23 people

Celebratory gunfire at a wedding party in eastern Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night brought down an electric cable, killing 23 people, a local civil defence official said.

hidden October 31, 2012 16:11:57 IST
Celebratory gunfire at Saudi wedding kills 23 people

Riyadh:  Celebratory gunfire at a wedding party in eastern Saudi Arabia on Tuesday night brought down an electric cable, killing 23 people, a local civil defence official said.

"At the wedding, the cable fell on a metal door and the 23 people who died were all electrocuted," Eastern Province official Abdullah Khashman said by phone.

Celebratory gunfire at Saudi wedding kills 23 people

The Saudi crown prince.

A photograph of the aftermath of the accident, published on local newspapers' websites showed a large courtyard strewn with fallen chairs and a pole in the middle supporting cables carrying lightbulbs.

All those killed were from the same tribe, Khashman said. Thirty others were injured in the incident near Abqaiq, a centre of the Saudi energy industry.

Saudi Arabia banned the shooting of firearms at weddings, a popular tradition in tribal areas of the conservative Islamic kingdom, last month.

Eastern Province governor Prince Mohammed bin Fahd ordered an investigation into the incident, the official Saudi Press Agency reported.

Reuters

Updated Date:

also read

Saudi Arabia bans travel to 16 countries including India over new COVID outbreaks
World

Saudi Arabia bans travel to 16 countries including India over new COVID outbreaks

The sixteen countries where the citizens of Saudi Arabia are banned to travel apart from India include Lebanon, Syria, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Libya, Indonesia, Vietnam, Armenia, Belarus, and Venezuela

Tiger Woods rips 'polarising' Phil Mickelson over Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf
Sports

Tiger Woods rips 'polarising' Phil Mickelson over Saudi Arabia-backed LIV Golf

Tiger Woods said he has not reached out to Mickelson and said he didn't know if there was any need for issues to be resolved.

Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million-plus offer from Saudi-backed LIV Golf International Series
Sports

Jack Nicklaus turned down $100 million-plus offer from Saudi-backed LIV Golf International Series

Jack Nicklaus, 82, an 18-time major winner said he turned down the offers out of loyalty to the PGA Tour.