Cricket

Usman Khawaja, Marcus Stoinis named in Australia's preliminary squad for England's limited-overs tour

Khawaja and Stoinis were included despite losing their national contracts after falling out of favour with selectors over the home summer.

Usman Khawaja, Marcus Stoinis named in Australia's preliminary squad for England's limited-overs tour

Melbourne: Top order batsman Usman Khawaja and all-rounder Marcus Stoinis have been named in a preliminary 26-man squad for Australia’s provisional white ball tour of England in September.

Khawaja and Stoinis were included despite losing their national contracts after falling out of favour with selectors over the home summer.

Veteran paceman Andrew Tye was also a notable inclusion, having been left out of Western Australia’s state contracts list.

Australia's Marcus Stoinis recently lost his national contract. AP

Australia's Marcus Stoinis recently lost his national contract. AP

Shaun Marsh and Nathan Coulter-Nile, who both featured in last year’s World Cup squad, were omitted along with Victoria batsman Peter Handscomb.

The squad includes the uncapped trio of Daniel Sams, Riley Meredith and Josh Philippe following their strong performances in Australia’s Big Bash League.

Left-arm paceman Sams was the BBL’s leading wicket-taker with 30 victims for Sydney Thunder, while Sydney Sixers’ wicketkeeper batsman Philippe made 487 runs in the Twenty20 tournament, including a match-winning half-century in the final against Melbourne Stars.

Paceman Meredith took 10 wickets in six games for Hobart Hurricanes before he was ruled out of the BBL with injury.

Australia are likely to need to take a bigger squad to England given the logistical difficulties of sending injury replacements due to travel restrictions and border controls to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Australia were initially scheduled to tour England for three one-day internationals and three T20Is this month but the series was postponed due to COVID-19.

Selector Trevor Hohns said Cricket Australia were doing all they could to ensure the tour of England could go ahead.

“We continue to work with the ECB and government agencies and a decision on the tour will be made in due course,” he said in a statement.

“In the meantime, the identification of a preliminary list will enable us to work with players and states more directly on the preparation for the tour in the hope it can proceed.”

Updated Date: July 16, 2020 10:01:35 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Pakistan vs England: English cricket team arrives in Karachi for first tour in 17 years
First Cricket News

Pakistan vs England: English cricket team arrives in Karachi for first tour in 17 years

England last played in Pakistan in 2005 and were due to visit again last year until pulling out at short notice after New Zealand also cancelled a tour citing safety concerns.

India vs England: Series at stake in 3rd T20I as Harmanpreet Kaur and Co eye consistency
First Cricket News

India vs England: Series at stake in 3rd T20I as Harmanpreet Kaur and Co eye consistency

With two matches already played, the England-India T20I series is currently leveled 1-1. The third match will be played at Bristol.

India vs England: Harmanpreet Kaur and Co seek all-round improvement to stay alive in T20I series
First Cricket News

India vs England: Harmanpreet Kaur and Co seek all-round improvement to stay alive in T20I series

India will need to improve their game in all departments to make a comeback in the T20I series against England after losing the first match.