S Sreesanth's ambitions of returning to the cricket field hit a roadblock earlier this week as a result of the decision of Kerala High Court to restore the life ban imposed on him by the BCCI, having revoked the order in August. The speedster, though, is not ready to give up hope yet and has hinted that he may still return to cricket — albeit for a different country.
According to a report in The Times of India, Sreesanth is understood to have told Asianet News,"BCCI has imposed the ban, not ICC. If not India, I can play for any other country, because am 34 now and I can only play for maximum six more years. As a person who loves cricket, I want to play cricket. And not only that, BCCI is a private firm; it is only us who say that this is the Indian team, but you know BCCI is a private body after all. So, if I play for any other country, it probably may be the same. Yes, representing Kerala in Ranji Trophy is different. I had hoped to win Ranji Trophy, Irani for Kerala, but the decision rests upon the BCCI."
Sreesanth was banned for life by the BCCI in the wake of the IPL 2013 spot-fixing scandal. However, the former India pacer filed a writ petition in February this year, pleading that in 2015, a trial court had dropped criminal charges filed against him by the Delhi Police and therefore, the BCCI should lift the ban as well.
A single judge bench of the Kerala High Court on 7 August lifted the life ban imposed on him by the BCCI and also set aside all proceedings against Sreesanth initiated by the board, on the grounds of lack of "incriminating evidence".
The BCCI challenged the 7 August order last month, saying the criminal proceedings established by the Delhi Police against the cricketer had no bearing on its own investigation. Following this counter plea by the BCCI, a division bench of the Kerala High Court comprising chief justice Navaniti Prasad Singh and Justice Raja Vijayaraghavan restored the life ban on Sreesanth earlier this week. The bench said there was no violation of natural justice against the cricketer, as he had claimed.
Sreesanth said that he would keep fighting and also raised questions about why he was solely being targeted despite the Lodha Committtee submitting 13 names in a sealed envelope after the completion of the investigation into the IPL fiasco.
Sreesanth took to Twitter to express his frustration at the court's decision, calling the verdict "the worst decision ever".
This is the worst decision ever..special rule for me?what about real culprits?What about chennai super kings ? And what about Rajasthan ?
— Sreesanth (@sreesanth36) October 17, 2017
And what about the accused 13 names in Lodha report?? No one wants to know about it?i will keep fighting for my right..God is great 🇮🇳✌🏻💒 — Sreesanth (@sreesanth36) October 17, 2017