Cricket

Nathan Coulter-Nile keen on proving Western Australia wrong after being excluded from contract list

  • Press Trust of India
  • June 25th, 2020
  • 16:59:08 IST

Disappointed at being left out of Western Australia's contract list, Australia pacer Nathan Coulter-Nile said he is looking to prove the decision-makers wrong representing a new state team for the upcoming season.

File image of Nathan Coulter-Nile. Sportzpics

File image of Nathan Coulter-Nile. Sportzpics

The 32-year-old, who grabbed 17 wickets at 18.94 to guide West Australia to their third title in six years in the last summer's Marsh Cup, didn't receive a contract renewal after he decided to focus his attention on white-ball cricket.

Coulter-Nile, who has taken 86 wickets in limited-overs cricket for Australia, said he is now "fired up" to face Western Australia.

"I'd love to face Western Australia, I'd definitely be fired up for it," he told cricket.com.au.

"I know the boys had nothing to do with the decision and a few of them openly said they were disappointed with it, but any chance I get to prove the decision-makers wrong, I'd definitely take that opportunity."

Coulter-Nile said he is confident of his bowling and will take up any opportunity that comes his way before the Marsh Cup.

"I want to play. I was the leading wicket-taker last year, I feel like I'm bowling alright. I feel like I've still got plenty to offer," said the pacer, who took 82 wickets at 21.96 in 39 one-day games for WA since making his debut in 2009.

"But there's still so much time before the Marsh Cup begins, we'll just wait and see what happens. But I'm definitely throwing my name out there."

Coulter-Nile has 116 wickets at 27.59 in 32 first-class games but he last played a first-class match in 2017 due to frequent injuries especially during the Sheffield Shield.

The pacer said though he understands that WA are focussing on ending their 21-year long Sheffield Shield title drought, he was disappointed at not being considered for a "minimum contract" with the state, which he represented for more than a decade.

"I understand where they're coming from; they want to win a Shield title and that's the way they thought they needed to go do it. I wasn't too shocked. I'd been given word they were going to reward the blokes bowling the most overs, which is fair enough," he said.

"But to not even get a minimum contract, say 'come down, help out the young kids,' I've been involved for 15 years so I feel like I know a bit about the game. To say I was not required at all, I was a bit disappointed, but that's the way it goes," Coulter-Nile said.

Updated Date: June 25, 2020 16:59:08 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Former wicketkeeper-batsman Abhay Sharma set to apply for Team India's fielding coach job
First Cricket News

Former wicketkeeper-batsman Abhay Sharma set to apply for Team India's fielding coach job

The 52-year-old is set to apply for the fielding coach role with the Indian cricket team with Sridhar leaving at the end of the T20 World Cup along with the majority of the support staff.

Fred Goodall, New Zealand umpire in stormy West Indies series, passes away aged 83
First Cricket News

Fred Goodall, New Zealand umpire in stormy West Indies series, passes away aged 83

Goodall stood in 24 Test matches and 15 one-day internationals between 1965 and 1988.

BCCI invites applications for India cricket team's head coach, support staff
First Cricket News

BCCI invites applications for India cricket team's head coach, support staff

The BCCI is expected to soon form a Cricket Advisory Committee to complete the selection process of the coaching staff.