Cricket

India vs Australia: Mitchell Johnson responds to publication's 'proof', maintains he gave no interview praising fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah

Cricket-turned-commentator Mitchell Johnson denies an interview with an Indian English daily, whose website published an interaction, where the former Australian fast bowler lavished praise about Indian quick Jasprit Bumrah.

India vs Australia: Mitchell Johnson responds to publication's 'proof', maintains he gave no interview praising fast bowler Jasprit Bumrah

Cricket-turned-commentator Mitchell Johnson has denied doing an interview with an Indian English daily, whose website published an interaction on Sunday, where the former Australian fast bowler lavished praise on  India pacer Jasprit Bumrah.

Johnson, who retired from all formats of the game earlier this year, has begun a broadcasting career as a commentator and an expert.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) too published the same interview on their official website and it was their tweet that caught Johnson's attention

Johnson first questioned ICC's tweet which read, "He hardly bowls a loose delivery, and any batsman will think twice before taking him on," alongside the link to the published article. However, he added that he did agree to the parts of the interview but does not recall sitting down with anyone for an interaction.

Then in another tweet, he rubbished the original interview that was published in Times Of India.  Johnson said that he was not in Melbourne (from where the article was published) and never sat down for interaction with the journalist, who had filed the article. Some of the other websites too had carried the interview on their website attributing the quotes to the ICC.

Later the ICC took note of Johnson's comments and subsequently took the article off their website and even tweeted to Johnson offering assistance if the pacer sought a clarification.

However, on Monday, the publication issued a clarification, standing by the reporter's interview, while calling Johnson's memory 'faint', in a statement. The Times of India admitted that Johnson's interview wasn't a typical sit-down interaction however it was conducted over several short sessions interspersed with Johnson's commentary stints. The national daily also pointed out to Johnson's tweet where the pace bowler agreed to the parts of the interview and supported their claim by posting a picture of the journalist along with Johnson.

Later on Monday, Johnson responded to the statement and a'selfie proof' presented by the publication, by listing out five points wherein the Aussie said he takes thousands of photos with fans deeming selfie as no proof. With photograph of the journalist present, Johnson said he remembered seeing the man around when he was talking to other journalists during the second Test.

Replying to few others on Twitter, the 37-year-old reiterated that he was not in Melbourne and said that he did speak to many journalists but never agreed to go on record and raised an issue of privacy, if one of the journalists he was casually speaking to, reported a chat that he had had with others. A Twitter user accused Johnson of irritating the Indians with his discordant tweets and said that Johnson loathed Indian players to which the Aussie replied that got along fine with the Indian players and also reminded the user of the stick he received from a lot of Indians for a column he wrote regarding Virat Kohli's behaviour after the conclusion of the second Test at Perth.

The publication response to Johnson's clarification is yet awaited.

Updated Date: December 25, 2018 09:44:24 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Indian cricket team off to England, see pics
First Cricket News

Indian cricket team off to England, see pics

The Indian team is off to UK for the one-off Test which would be followed by three T20Is and as many ODIs.

India vs England: Jasprit Bumrah to lead India in fifth Test vs England, Rohit Sharma ruled out
First Cricket News

India vs England: Jasprit Bumrah to lead India in fifth Test vs England, Rohit Sharma ruled out

Rohit did not recover from the Covid-19 infection and hence, the decision was taken in a team meeting.

Jasprit Bumrah to lead India in fifth Test vs England: Reports
First Cricket News

Jasprit Bumrah to lead India in fifth Test vs England: Reports

Rohit Sharma has been ruled out of the fifth Test against England scheduled to take place in Birmingham