India crumbled in the face of Australia's remarkable metamorphosis and crashed to a 146-run defeat in the second Test here Tuesday, surrendering a rare hard-earned ascendancy in a series Down Under.
The hosts levelled the four-match series 1-1 after India were bowled out for 140 runs in 56 overs in their second innings on the fifth and final day. India had won the opening game by 31 runs to go in front.
This was Australia's first Test win since the ball-tampering scandal broke out in South Africa earlier this year. This and more in the statistical highlights from Day 5 of the Perth Test.
- This was Australia's 999th win in international cricket.
- Nathan Lyon (46) has now taken most wickets against India in Tests in Australia, surpassing Brett Lee's tally of 45 wickets.
- India have now lost nine Tests under the captaincy of Virat Kohli while chasing a target in the fourth innings of a Test - the joint most under any Indian captain alongside MAK Pataudi.
- This was India's seventh overseas defeat this year in Tests which is a record. The previous record was six in 2014.
- This was Tim Paine's first Test win as a captain of Australia. This was Australia's only third Test win of this year. They won a Test each against South Africa (at Durban) and England (at Sydney) earlier this year.
- Australia's last four wickets' (7-10) partnership average in this series so far is 23.06 while India's is 12.56.
- Australia's lower-order (7-11) amassed 146 runs in this Test and India lost the match by 146 runs. This was India's second largest defeat in terms of runs under the captaincy of Virat Kohli.
With inputs from PTI
Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.