Cricket

Former West Indies cricketer Ottis Gibson signs two-year contract with Bangladesh as bowling coach

  • Reuters
  • January 22nd, 2020
  • 14:01:10 IST

Dhaka: The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) has appointed West Indian Ottis Gibson as the national team’s new bowling coach on a two-year contract, replacing South African Charl Langeveldt who left last month.

Langeveldt had a two-year contract with Bangladesh but was released after less than five months so he could take up a similar role with Cricket South Africa.

File image of Ottis Gibson. Reuters

File image of Ottis Gibson. Reuters

Gibson had two fruitful stints as England’s bowling coach and was head coach of South Africa until last August.

The 50-year-old is also more than familiar with cricket in Bangladesh, having coached Cumilla Warriors in the Bangladesh Premier League.

“He brings in tremendous experience and has coached or played all over the world,” BCB Chief Executive Nizam Uddin Chowdhury said in a statement.

“He has also had the opportunity to observe Bangladesh cricket from close. I am sure he will be a very valuable addition to the Bangladesh team’s coaching group.”

The 50-year-old’s first assignment in his new role will be a three-match Twenty20 series in Pakistan beginning on Friday.

Updated Date: January 22, 2020 14:01:10 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

MCC President Kumar Sangakkara condemns incidents of racism in India vs Australia series
First Cricket News

MCC President Kumar Sangakkara condemns incidents of racism in India vs Australia series

Play was halted for a few minutes at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Sunday after India pacer Mohammed Siraj complained of racial abuse from a section of the crowd, leading to the expulsion of six spectators and an unreserved apology from Cricket Australia.

Emirates Cricket Board calls off ODI between UAE and Ireland following string of COVID-19 cases
First Cricket News

Emirates Cricket Board calls off ODI between UAE and Ireland following string of COVID-19 cases

"Emirates Cricket Board confirms that tomorrow's match... against Ireland has been suspended," a statement from the board said.

Concussion specialist urges cricket authorities to ban use of bouncers in U-18 games
First Cricket News

Concussion specialist urges cricket authorities to ban use of bouncers in U-18 games

There has been a raging debate regarding the short-pitched ball with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), the custodians of the game's laws, starting a consultation process to discuss if bowlers should continue to be allowed to use bouncers.