Cricket

England confirm tour of South Africa in November to play three ODIs and T20Is

  • Press Trust of India
  • October 21st, 2020
  • 21:30:04 IST

London, United Kingdom: England's limited overs tour of South Africa will go ahead despite the administrative chaos engulfing South African cricket.

The England and Wales Cricket Board said Wednesday that three Twenty20s and three one-day internationals will take place behind closed doors in Cape Town and Paarl starting in November.

Both the ECB and Cricket South Africa (CSA) have agreed to bio-security and travel plans for what will be the first international tour by an England cricket team since the COVID-19 pandemic.

The future of the tour was in question when South Africa's sports minister threatened to intervene directly in the affairs of Cricket South Africa following concerns over a lack of unrestricted access to a forensic report which led to the dismissal of chief executive Thabang Moroe in August.

But that issue has not scuppered the tour, with the South African government granting exemptions for inbound travel for the England players and management earlier this week.

Eoin Morgan’s 50-over world champions squad will depart from London on a chartered flight on November 16.

The three T20s start on November 27 at Newlands, Cape Town. The second match of the series will be played at Boland Park, Paarl on November 29 before the teams return to Newlands on December 1.

The three-match ODI series, part of the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League, starts at Newlands on December 4.

The second match will be played at Boland Park on December 6, with the series finale at Newlands three days later.

England pioneered bio-secure cricket during their recently concluded home season that featured men's series against West Indies, Ireland, Pakistan and Australia.

"We are looking forward to touring South Africa. I would like to personally thank Cricket South Africa for their efforts in ensuring this tour goes ahead and their diligent work to create an environment that is safe for our players and staff," said ECB chief executive Tom Harrison in a statement.

"They are working tirelessly to pull together a bio-secure plan in Cape Town and Paarl."

Updated Date: October 21, 2020 21:30:04 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

BCCI president Sourav Ganguly reveals undergoing 22 COVID-19 tests in four-and-a-half months
First Cricket News

BCCI president Sourav Ganguly reveals undergoing 22 COVID-19 tests in four-and-a-half months

Ganguly was kept busy by the conduct of the Indian Premier League (IPL) in the UAE from mid-September to early November.

Star India acquires CSA media rights till 2024 for bilateral series, domestic men's franchise matches in South Africa
First Cricket News

Star India acquires CSA media rights till 2024 for bilateral series, domestic men's franchise matches in South Africa

This will be a first for Star India for a non-India bilateral cricket tournament to be produced in Hindi, in addition to the English feed.

MCA seeks Maharashtra government's permission to allow physical presence of members at Wankhede Stadium for AGM
First Cricket News

MCA seeks Maharashtra government's permission to allow physical presence of members at Wankhede Stadium for AGM

Mumbai has been one of the worst affected COVID-19 cities and as of Thursday had around 9,325 active cases.