Cricket

CSA interim chairperson Zak Yacoob asked to resign after verbal tirade against journalist

  • Press Trust of India
  • January 28th, 2021
  • 11:08:05 IST

Johannesburg: Zak Yacoob, the interim board chairperson of Cricket South Africa (CSA), has been forced out of job after his verbal tirade against a journalist went viral.

Yacoob faced widespread criticism after he repeatedly insulted the journalist who wanted him to respond to allegations against him.

South African Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa asked interim Board member Dr Stavros Nicolaou to take over despite an unreserved apology from Yacoob, who would have served out his term by mid-February.

Representational photo. Image credit: Twitter/@OfficialCSA

Representational photo. Image credit: Twitter/@OfficialCSA

Mthethwa had appointed the interim Board after an impasse between him and CSA after many previous Board members and senior management resigned within just a few months, thrusting the cricket authority into an administrative crisis.

The minister said the decision to replace Yacoob was made as a cautionary measure to safeguard the work already done by the Interim Board to turn around CSA.

"This decision was made out of an abundance of caution, to safeguard the tremendous work done by the Interim Board, under his stewardship," Mthetwa said.

Yacoob reacted angrily in a telephone discussion with TimesLIVE journalist Tiisetso Malepa.

"You are a dishonest, irresponsible idiot. You are a rogue and dirty journalist. I prefer not to answer your questions and to air my views when the enquiry comes up," was among the things Yacoob said in the lengthy call, which was shared on social media and printed in the Sunday Times.

The enquiry that Yacoob was referring to was a disciplinary hearing against suspended Acting CEO of CSA Kugandrie Govender, who will face three counts of alleged misconduct.

Govender in turn has lodged grievances of allegedly being treated unfairly by Yacoob.

TimesLIVE reported on Wednesday that Mthethwa was stunned after he read the Sunday Times and then listened to the audio.

"I met the judge and expressed to him my disappointment with how he had conducted himself. I informed him that he would have to go," Mthethwa told TimesLIVE.

"Later on when I met the board, I made it clear that there must be circumspection and [they must be] respectful when dealing with the media," Mthetwa added.

Updated Date: January 28, 2021 11:08:05 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Indian domestic season for women's cricket to start with 50-over tournament from 11 March
First Cricket News

Indian domestic season for women's cricket to start with 50-over tournament from 11 March

The Senior Women’s One-day Tournament will be held across six venues — Surat, Rajkot, Jaipur, Indore, Chennai and Bengaluru.

Bishan Singh Bedi recovering well after undergoing surgery to remove blood clot in brain, say reports
First Cricket News

Bishan Singh Bedi recovering well after undergoing surgery to remove blood clot in brain, say reports

The 74-year-old former India captain had undergone a bypass surgery at the hospital last month after he complained of heart problems. He underwent the procedure on his brain just after the bypass surgery.

ICC signs deal with IMG to live stream 541 games across three World Cups
First Cricket News

ICC signs deal with IMG to live stream 541 games across three World Cups

The coverage will capture the performance of new teams including Hungary, Romania, and Serbia, who are competing for the first time in the men's T20 World Cup qualification, and Finland playing host to an ICC event for the very first time.