Cricket

CSA confident of Australia's tour of South Africa later this year going ahead amid COVID-19 crisis

  • Agence France-Presse
  • January 21st, 2021
  • 17:40:29 IST

Johannesburg: Cricket South Africa interim board chairman Zak Yacoob said on Thursday he was confident that Australia’s Test tour of South Africa would go ahead, although he cautioned that the unpredictability of the COVID-19 virus could yet cause plans to change.

"I had a chat with the chair of Cricket Australia (Earl Eddings) about a week ago and we agreed that the tour is going to go ahead," he told a virtual press conference.

A three-Test tour was originally scheduled to take place during February and March but an aborted limited overs tour by England late last year led to speculation that either the tour might not take place or that it could be switched to Perth in Western Australia.

The tour is now expected to go ahead in March or April.

"We are going to ensure that our facilities are as good as possible– as good as necessary," said Yacoob. “We agreed that we learn every day – but that is not on the basis that we did anything that was wrong when England were here.”

England went home in December without playing three scheduled one-day internationals after two members of the hotel staff tested positive for Covid and it was reported that two members of the touring party had also tested positive– although both tests were later shown to be "false positives".

Sri Lanka subsequently played two Test matches in South Africa in December and January without any breaches of a bio-secure environment.

"None of the England people were affected. That’s the bottom line," said Yacoob.

"But we are learning that the virus changes all the time. As it changes things must change."

He said that he and Eddings had agreed to rely on experts to assess the safety of facilities.

"So far there is no doubt between the chair of Cricket Australia and myself that the tour will go ahead but we have agreed also that the coronavirus is changing and we cannot predict what will happen,” said Yacoob.

"So if things suddenly go down for the worse and our experts and other experts say we can't do it, we won't be able to."

CSA acting chief executive Pholetsi Moseki said he expected that an announcement on the tour would be made "in a week or so".

Interim board

The press conference was called to provide an update on progress towards establishing a new structure for CSA following the resignation of the previous board last year.

Yacoob said the interim board believed that the majority of a permanent board should be independent rather than drawn from cricket structures.

Yacoob said the interim board had been granted a one-month extension to their original three-month mandate, giving them until 15 February to complete their work.

However, he said a further extension might be necessary if CSA’s members’ council, consisting of the presidents of provincial unions, did not agree to the interim board’s proposals.

Updated Date: January 21, 2021 17:40:29 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

Pakistan vs South Africa, Highlights, 2nd T201 At Lahore: Reeza Hendricks, Pite van Biljon power visitors to six-wicket win
First Cricket News

Pakistan vs South Africa, Highlights, 2nd T201 At Lahore: Reeza Hendricks, Pite van Biljon power visitors to six-wicket win

Catch all the latest updates and the live score from the second T201 of Pakistan's three-match series against South Africa at Gaddafi stadium.

Cricket South Africa lodges official complaint with ICC over Australia's withdrawal
First Cricket News

Cricket South Africa lodges official complaint with ICC over Australia's withdrawal

CSA's complaint to the ICC is understood to seek World Test championship points for the series on the grounds that it cannot be re-scheduled before 30 April, the deadline for championship matches, as well as financial compensation.

South Africa to visit Ireland in July for historic first full limited-overs tour
First Cricket News

South Africa to visit Ireland in July for historic first full limited-overs tour

The matches are scheduled to be played from 11-25 July and will comprise three ODIs, that will form part of the ICC's Cricket World Cup Super League programme, and three T20 Internationals.