Cricket

Ben Stokes incident key witnesses urged again by English police to come forward and aid probe

  • AFP
  • October 17th, 2017
  • 0:20:07 IST

London: English police have called again for two men who they believe are key witnesses to the incident that has placed talismanic England all-rounder Ben Stokes's place on the Ashes tour in jeopardy to come forward.

The police had already appealed a fortnight ago for the duo to assist them with their investigation into the disturbance outside a nightclub in Bristol late last month which resulted in England vice-captain Stokes being arrested.

File photo of Ben Stokes. AFP

File photo of Ben Stokes. Reuters

"We're renewing our appeal to trace two men we believe could be key witnesses to a disorder in Bristol in the early hours of Monday, 25 September.

"A 27-year-old man suffered minor facial injuries in the incident. The men we hope to talk to left Mbargo nightclub on Triangle West at 2.19 am and walked in the direction of Queens Road with two other men."

The police added that alongside one arrest, three other men had attended voluntary interviews, one of those being 26-year-old Stokes' England team-mate Alex Hales, who was out with him on the night in question.

Last week, representatives of Stokes said he would offer a full explanation of the incident "when the time is right".

Stokes – who got married last week – will not travel to Australia with the rest of the England squad for the Ashes as he waits to learn whether he will face criminal charges but has not been ruled out of the five-Test series, which starts on 23 November.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will not consider him for selection until further notice as it awaits developments in the ongoing police investigation.

The player's financial fortunes have also suffered with sports equipment manufacturer New Balance terminating their contract with him last week.

The company's decision was announced hours after Stokes apologised to British celebrity Katie Price and her disabled son Harvey after a video emerged of Stokes impersonating the pair.

Stokes, who is also subject to internal disciplinary action, has had his central contract renewed by the ECB since his arrest.

Updated Date: October 17, 2017 00:20:07 IST

Find latest and upcoming tech gadgets online on Tech2 Gadgets. Get technology news, gadgets reviews & ratings. Popular gadgets including laptop, tablet and mobile specifications, features, prices, comparison.

also read

India vs England: BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly unsure 5th Test will go ahead after junior physio Yogesh Parmar tests positive
First Cricket News

India vs England: BCCI chief Sourav Ganguly unsure 5th Test will go ahead after junior physio Yogesh Parmar tests positive

The players have been told to remain in their respective rooms as RT-PCR testing is being carried out. Besides Shastri and Patel, fielding coach R Sridhar and Arun are also isolating in London.

India vs England: Proposed Test could be one-off, says ECB CEO Tom Harrison
First Cricket News

India vs England: Proposed Test could be one-off, says ECB CEO Tom Harrison

The fifth Test was cancelled after a COVID-19 outbreak in the Indian camp which made visiting players reluctant to play fearing a positive result might lead to 10-day isolation and scheduling nightmare of Indian Premier League.

India vs England: ECB likely to write to ICC for decision on cancelled Test at Manchester
First Cricket News

India vs England: ECB likely to write to ICC for decision on cancelled Test at Manchester

It is understood that ECB will press for a forfeiture of the fifth Test which would allow them to claim the compensation from the insurance company.